Up the Pole

• 2 Replies

John Mole

• John Mole
    • Email
Up the Pole
« on: October 31, 2016, 03:26:00 PM »
In a field belonging to us in front of our house on Evia, Greece,  the electricity company and the telephone company have each planted a pole a metre apart. They spoil the view and doubly annoying because we use neither. What can we plant that will climb up the poles to take the edge off their rectilinearity? It's exposed to sun and wind but we can water in the summer if necessary. I've read that R. Banksiae Lutea will climb 12 metres. But up a creosoted pole?
Not only a newbie to this forum but a newbie to proper gardening as opposed to outdoor housework. A new and wonderful world. Favourite gardens - Sparoza and Philodassiki in Athens and Chelsea Physic in London.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Up the Pole
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 04:30:11 PM »
Some kind of Ipomea might be worth considering. The telegraph poles around Naples are smothered in Ipomea indica with its beautiful blue flowers. The word smothered should also bring a word of warning though. It really is rampant. Roots wherever it touches ground and grows at an alarmingly fast rate. If it is not already found in your area I would say better not to introduce it. It is a common weed around Naples.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Up the Pole
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2016, 07:34:28 PM »
There is a banksian rose that climbs up a telegraph pole in the village below us (I think the lady who owns it must give the rose a helping hand with bits of string), but from memory I'd say it's got up to only about 3 metres. (It flowers really well there.)
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society