Water plants

• 4 Replies

John J

Water plants
« on: October 16, 2016, 04:01:56 PM »
The garden we visited today had extensive pond areas that were capable of coping with even the most invasive water plants. Things like:
Water hyacinth (Eichornia crassipes) and water lettuce (Pistia stratiotes). The water lily was unidentified.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

Re: Water plants
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2017, 07:14:12 AM »
During the winter on a visit to a Garden Centre that I frequent the owner mentioned that he had been offered a few species of water plants for selling. He wasn't sure about accepting them as he didn't know how they would fare in Cyprus, so I volunteered to trial some for him. One was a Pontederia cordata and the photos show the first flower opening. The pond is in full sun all day and you can possibly see how the leaves suffer from scorching in the heat, and it's only May. When the temperature ratchets up by 10 degrees or more they're really going to burn I'd say.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 08:32:26 AM »
Update on the Pontederia. It has produced 3 flowers so far, this is the latest. As can be seen the leaves suffer badly in the sun and the flowers don't perform to their best.

John J

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2017, 03:56:50 PM »
A Pontederia cordata flower taken today. It seems to be defying daily temperatures in excess of 40 degrees C, at least for now, though the leaves are obviously suffering sunburn.

Hilary

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2018, 08:21:50 AM »
Lemna minor, Common duckweed

We saw this water plant when we visited the Diomedes Botanic Garden outside Athens in October 2017

There were many interesting plants but not many flowers because of the time of the year
This, apparently, is one of the plants we are going to eat on Mars when we get there

Lemna is mentioned in THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN number 8, Spring 1997 in
THE AQUATICS AND THEIR CULTIVATION IN MEDITERRANEAN CLIMATES
By Gianluca Corazza
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care