Tree frog

• 2 Replies

John J

Tree frog
« on: October 16, 2016, 03:33:51 PM »
We do get these in our garden occasionally but this little guy (gal?) was in a garden we visited today. By the way if anyone can identify the plant it's sitting on I'd be grateful.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Tree frog
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 07:56:00 PM »
Could it be some kind of Colocasia? I remember taking photos of a similar looking plant in La Mortella in Ischia. (If any readers have never been there it is an absolute "must do" garden with some mediterranean areas but a whole host of other plants too)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

Re: Tree frog
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 08:03:32 AM »
I did think of that, David, but the leaf was not fully open and it was difficult to see what its final shape would be, so I thought I'd see what others might suggest. I can fully endorse your recommendation regarding La Mortella having spent some time there during last year's MGS AGM, fantastic garden.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)