Botanical Trivia

• 59 Replies

John J

Botanical Trivia
« on: October 14, 2016, 10:19:46 AM »
Side by side with my affection for plants I have developed a fascination for the romanticism, folklore, mythology, call it what you will, that is so often associated with them. I began to wonder whether other members of the Forum might share this particular idiosyncrasy with me and so decided to open a thread that I have entitled, Botanical Trivia, in order to sound out this premise. If so then please feel free to add your own favourite stories.
I begin with some members of the Bignoniaceae family. Four of them in fact who all appear to have begun their botanical lives by being included in the genus Bignonia. They all passed through a variety of alternative genera before eventually coming to rest in the ones that they currently occupy.
Firstly we have Tecoma capensis. This South African shrub arrived via the Tecomaria genus, unlike Tecoma stans which came by way of Stenolobium. Pandorea jasminoides was named for Pandora, she of the infamous 'Pandora's Box' (actually it was probably a large vase but I suppose 'Pandora's Vase' didn't have quite the same ring to it). The generic name of Pandora was chosen because the type-species was associated with an insect plague on its Norfolk Island home. I guess it represented the Hope that was all that remained in Pandora's 'container' once all the terrible afflictions with which it had been filled had poured out after it was opened. Possibly proving that at least someone had a sense of the dramatic. Lastly we have Podranea ricasoliana By the time it had been decided that it deserved a genus of its own everyone seems to have suffered an imagination failure as the best they could come up with was an anagram of Pandorea.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

Re: Botanical Trivia
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2016, 09:05:36 AM »
In my previous post I mentioned Pandora, a character from Greek Mythology, who was sent by the gods of Olympus to punish the mortal Prometheus for having had the audacity to steal fire from them. Similar tales of mortals being punished by higher beings also occur in the folklore of other cultures. One such example from Chinese legend involves the belief that a Cassia grows on the moon. The unfortunate mortal, one Kang Wou, discovered a genie, but he misused the powers that were bestowed upon him. As a punishment he was destined to spend all of eternity attempting to cut down the Cassia that grew on the moon.
I have no evidence that the tree in question was a Cassia fistula but it's a beautiful tree and it would be a shame to cut it down. None of the moon missions have ever mentioned anything about seeing a tree up there so did old Kang Wou succeed in the end? 
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2016, 09:39:23 AM »
If you are looking for plants associated with myths, one of the first ones I would mention is Narcissus. There is both a Greek and a Roman version of the myth of  Narcissus, I suppose they are so well known that I don't have to repeat them here.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John J

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2016, 10:57:36 AM »
Thanks for reminding me of that, Jorun. What I was attempting was a rather light-hearted look at the stories associated with plants that I grow so that I could include photos with them. I don't have any Narcissus in the garden but I will keep them in mind for future reference. In fact I have just realized that I have some photos of Narcissus in the wild taken on an MGS trip to the Epirus area of Greece so I could do it. So, watch this space!

John J

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2016, 06:06:14 AM »
As JTh rightly says in her post there are a variety of stories associated with Narcissus. Some well known, others less so. Even within these stories there are variants of detail.
In Ancient Greece Narcissus was an extremely handsome young man, offspring of a 'liaison' between the naiad, Liriope, and the river god, Cephisus. His extreme beauty attracted the attentions of more than a few female admirers. However, he appears to have been incapable of returning their affections, even being quite cruel in his rejection of their advances. The fate of poor Echo being just one case in point. There are conflicting versions with regard to his ultimate demise. Most seem to agree that he fell in love with his own reflection after seeing it in a pool of water. One ending has him falling into the pool and drowning whilst attempting to reach this paragon of beauty. Another has him committing suicide by stabbing himself with a sword when he realizes that he can never obtain his goal. A white daffodil with a red centre sprang from his blood, or alternatively, when his body was carried to the funeral pyre on the banks of the River Styx it was found to have transformed into a daffodil. The centre cup was said to contain his tears.
Needless to say Chinese legend takes a completely different approach to the subject. An old lady living in Fukien province took pity on a beggar and gave him her last bowl of rice. After thanking her he ate it greedily and disappeared, but not before spitting the last few grains onto the ground. The following morning the old lady found white daffodils with yellow centres growing on that very spot. She became rich by selling the flowers.
The photo shows Narcissus poeticus photographed on an MGS trip to the Epirus region of Greece in May 2015.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Botanical Trivia (Narcissus)
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2016, 08:42:43 AM »
In China the narcissus is female not male - the Goddess Who Stands Above the Waves, or the Water Goddess, one of two goddesses of the River Xiang in Hunan, the ancient kingdom of Chu. Apparently it's the gently waving graceful leaves rather than the flower which earns its legendary name there (as shown in the calligraphic scroll painting dating from about 1225 that I've clipped part of below). More trivia: it's actually the Mediterranean Narcissus tazetta, which was widely naturalised there probably about a thousand years ago as a result of Silk Road trading; traditionally, if the narcissuses are in bloom at the time of the Chinese New Year, it will be a year of good fortune (a fairly safe bet, given their normal season). N. tazetta has also been naturalised in some parts of Japan for almost as long, and when I was there I was told that some colonies now cover vast swathes when they're flowering in January and February.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2016, 09:46:43 AM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2016, 07:01:26 AM »
The story from Greek Mythology of how Lotus, the beautiful water nymph, whose unrequited love for the hero, Hercules, led to her pining away until she died is fairly well known. Fortunately the goddess, Hebe, turned her into the first waterlily.
Personally, I prefer two quite similar tales told by Native American tribes. In the first a star maiden came to a Dakota chief named Red Strawberry Man in a dream and told him that she wanted to come down and live amongst the Dakota people. The chief sent his son to fetch the wise man of the tribe to ask him about this. The wise man lived on the opposite shore of the lake and, in his haste and in the darkness, the son's canoe struck a floating log. The star maiden, who was travelling with him, fell overboard and drowned. The following morning, in the same place, there was a waterlily with shining yellow flowers growing.
In the version told by the Chippewa the star maiden wished to get closer to the tribe over whom she shone at night. Not knowing how to achieve this she appeared to a young man of the tribe in a vision and asked him to consult the elders about her problem. Their suggestion was that she become the heart of a flower. Firstly she became a mountain rose but found that she was still not close enough. So she became a prairie flower, but this presented the danger of either being eaten by or trampled upon by the bison who lived there. In the end she decided to float on the lake next to which the tribe lived and when she spread her wings out over the water she became the first waterlily.
On that note I depart for the MGS AGM in Athens, but keep watching this space for more tall tales when I return.

JayB

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2016, 09:19:59 AM »
I always think back to some of the Dreamtime stories from Indigenous Australian's.
The first that springs to mind is the story of the Boab Tree and that it was too proud and arrogant of it's own beauty and the gods got angry at this so they uprooted the tree was planted it upside down squashing the trunk and exposing the roots as the new branches.

There are certainly many more dreamtime stories too concerning plants and trees as they are the lifeblood of people who lived off the land.
G'day from an Aussie in Spain. Currently attempting a total garden overhaul.

John J

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2016, 07:25:15 AM »
Hibiscus especially H. rosa-sinensis tends to be associated with exotic maidens from exotic locations. Long ago one man became so angry with his particular exotic maiden wife that he set her adrift on the sea on an open raft. However, she had been warned of her husband's intentions by the gods who told her to prepare a survival kit. This consisted of ashes, a coconut shell and a hibiscus branch. Once the raft was well out to sea the woman did as she had been advised by the gods and scattered the ashes on the water. She then pushed the hibiscus branch into the seabed before placing the coconut shell on top of it. She was thus able to land on the island this created and was safe. This island, now called Kayangel, is in the pacific and the sacred hibiscus still grows on it.

John J

« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2016, 08:46:01 PM »
The story goes that in the past when a girl was born into a Chinese family a Paulownia tomentosa tree was planted. These are so fast growing that by the time the young lady was of an age to marry the tree could be cut down to allow household items for her dowry to be made from the wood.
Its common names in China of Empress tree and Princess tree seem so much more attractive than the rather mundane label given to it in the western world of Foxglove tree.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2016, 12:26:29 AM »
When I first moved to Kuala Lumpur (a long time ago) I made the terrible faux pas of asking if karkadè was a national drink. How could anybody dream of drinking an infusion made from their national plant! I never asked again. Reading up on it on the internet it turns out that the plant used for the infusion is a different species of Hibiscus, Hibiscus sabdariffa and not Hibiscus rosa sinensis. If only I had known that at the time, I might have been able to save face - maybe just a little.

I drank it the first time I came to Italy and Wikipedia tells us "In Italy hibiscus tea, known as carcadè or Italian tea, is usually drunk hot, often with the addition of sugar and lemon juice. First introduced from Eritrea, it was widely used as a tea substitute when the country was hit by trade sanctions for its invasion of Abyssinia." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hibiscus_tea

There is a little story here about the selection of the flower to represent Malaysia.

http://www.expatgo.com/my/2016/02/18/hibiscus-story-malaysias-national-flower/
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2016, 01:51:17 PM »
The leaf of the acanthus is famous for being the inspiration behind the decoration atop Corinthian columns in Ancient Greece. There are many variations of the story as to how this came about but the main gist is basically the same. The one that I quite like is that related by the author and hellenophile, Lawrence Durrell, but I could be biased by my admiration for his writing.
His story involves the sad passing of a beautiful young maiden (aren't they always? I don't recall any myths or legends that involve ugly young maidens). Following her burial her nurse had the idea that she might appreciate some of her favourite possessions being near, so she placed them in a basket and  left it on her grave. To protect the items from the elements she put a large tile over the basket. Unbeknownst to all, the grave had been dug in an acanthus patch, so when the time came and this plant grew its leaves were turned back by the obstructing tile. The architect, Callimachos, happened to pass by one day and on seeing this had a Eureka moment (if you'll forgive the reference to a different Greek legend). He saw at once that it was just what he was looking for to top off the new columns he was designing for Corinth.
In place of a photo of an Acanthus, I think we all know what they look like, I have one of a memorial plaque to the great writer, Lawrence Durrell. This is situated on the seafront of Corfu Town and was photographed last month on the MGS post AGM trip to the island of Corfu.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2016, 08:29:12 PM »
Thank you, John, about the myths about the acanthus leave. The acanthus is not used only in Corinthian columns; it is also the inspiration for what is considered the most typical Norwegian traditional decorative folk art in rural parts of Norway, called rosemaling, or ‘rose painting’, used in churches, homes (cupboards, walls, chests and bowls). It was brought to the country around 1750, I found a description in English here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosem%C3%A5ling.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Caroline

Re: Botanical Trivia - Hibiscus sabdariffa
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2016, 11:21:44 PM »
In Mexico the semi- dried flowers of Hibiscus sabdariffa are known as Flor de Jamaica - Jamaica flower.  I remember the tea made with them as extremely refreshing, if a somewhat alarming colour.
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline

John J

« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 05:41:13 PM »
Thanks for that, Jorun, it just goes to illustrate how the movement of people around the world can have a positive impact on different cultures.
Back to the trivia.
There are a number of stories associated with how Cercis siliquastrum gained the name of Judas tree. Probably the most common is the one about how he hanged himself from one in remorse following his betrayal of Christ. It is also said that Judas cast away the 40 pieces of silver that he had been paid for his betrayal and that wherever a coin landed a Cercis tree sprang up, presumably quickly enough for him to use one of them to hang himself.
Actually the first time that the Cercis is referred to as the Judas tree would seem to be in 1597 in Gerard's Herbal. The more probable explanation is that the name is a corruption of 'Judea tree', the tree of Judea.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 05:14:10 PM by John J »