Plants of the world on postage stamps

• 1642 Replies

Hilary

Re: Plants of the world on postage stamps
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2017, 08:41:02 AM »
Protea lorea- Thong-leaf sugarbush.
Another stamp from the 1977 South African series FLORA, PROTEA PLANTS.

Looking for some information about this plant I came across
A shrublet forming mats up to 1m across.

Proteas are mentioned many times in THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN.
Today I refer you to issue number 51, January 2008.
FIRES IN MEDITERRANEAN AREAS OF THE WORLD:
LIVING WITH THE INEVITABLE by B.W.van Wilgen
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Hilary

« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2017, 08:50:43 AM »
Magnifera indica, Mango
This stamp was issued by India in a series named  LOCAL MOTIFS in 1965.

In THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN, number 70, October 2012,
 THE IDLE THIRD TERRACE: TROPICAL EXPERIMENTS IN MALLORCA, PART 2,  by Jaime Ruiz, you can read about the successful attempts the author made to grow Magnifera indica along with other tropical plants
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #77 on: January 30, 2017, 07:37:49 AM »
Reforestation in India. This stamp was issued in India during  the period of 1984 - 1988.
I wasn't able to find out just which trees they used in the campaign but did find this information on WIKIPEDIA

India[edit]

Afforestation in South India
India has witnessed a minor increase in the percentage of the land area under forest cover from 1950 to 2006. In 1950 around 40.48 million hectares was covered by forest. In 1980 it increased to 67.47 million hectares and in 2006 it was found to be 69 million hectares. 23% of India is covered by forest.[8] The forests of India are grouped into 5 major categories and 16 types based on biophysical criteria. 38% of forest is categorised as subtropical dry deciduous and 30% as tropical moist deciduous plus other smaller groups. It is taken care that only local species are planted in an area. Trees bearing fruits are preferred wherever possible due to their function as a food source.

Another entry https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trees_of_India gives an illustrated list of Trees of India.

A few of these trees grow in the pavements of Corinth, see photos, two of them were identified for me by this Forum
Many of the trees of India are mentioned in THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN
MGS member

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: January 30, 2017, 09:11:23 AM »
Hilary, is the Ziziphus ("Indian jujube") one that you've seen as a street tree in Corinth?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Hilary

« Reply #79 on: January 30, 2017, 05:24:18 PM »
Alisdair
Oron had identified this small tree for me .
If you search Ziziphus in the Forum you will find a long discussion.

I looked at the Trees of India site and quote what they write under the photo of the tree.

Jujube Tree-- Ziziphus mauritiana -- बदरी (Badarī) in Sanskrit; बेर in Hindi; बोर in Marathi; Kul in Bengali)

Hope this answers you question
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2017, 08:36:23 AM »
Silene vulgaris, Bladder campion.

Jorun Tharaldsen, a MGS member, kindly sent me some photos, by e mail, of some stamps depicting flowers   from India.
Anyone else wishing to do so is very  welcome, so far I have exhausted my  collection of flower/plant stamps up to the letter  I in the alphabet.

India issued this series, WILD FLOWERS OF INDIA, in 2013.

We could only find one reference to Silene vulgaris in THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN in issue number 3 Winter 1995/96 in the article HOME GROWN VARIETIS by Derek Toms.

The photo was taken one April  morning in Mystras, Lakonia, when the hillside was one veritable Mediterranean garden
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #81 on: February 01, 2017, 08:59:18 AM »
HIMALAYAN IRIS, Iris decora another stamp in the 2013 series WILD FLOWERS OF INDIA.

Inspired by the article in THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN issue 59, January 2010, A MEDITERRANEAN ORCHARD IN THE CITY OF MADRID by Meye Maier my husband and I visited this park in 2011.

As it was the middle of the week and at the end of April, after the almond blossom season, we had the place to ourselves. There were many irises in bloom so I have included a photo of some of them here. Unfortunately I don't think we saw any Himalayan irises.
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2017, 08:42:02 AM »
Rhododendron
The state flower of Himachal Pradesh in the WILD FLOWERS OF INDIA series issued in 2013.

Surprisingly the Rhododendron is mentioned in THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN,  number 71, January 2013,
GARDENS, PLANTS, NEW FRIENDS: THE 2012 AGM IN AUSTRALIA By Alisdair Aird.

A friend of mine from Leeds sent me the photo of a very pink Rhododendron.

Now to be a little romantic
The last two were taken in 1962, on the 24th June to be precise, in Dundock Woods, near Coldstream, U.K.
It was my parents' Silver Wedding Anniversary

MGS member

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2017, 09:50:39 AM »
As a sad footnote to Hilary's rhododendron stamp pictures (and my TMG mention of them):
The vireya rhodos which I grow in Sussex I keep in a shady area outdoors in summer, and under glass in winter where I keep them at not less than about 10 deg C minimum. They normally thrive (as they do with gardeners in southern Australia and in California who can give them humidity - including our current president Caroline Davies, in Melbourne). But a couple of weeks ago while I was away in Greece, in a spell of very cold weather here,  my greenhouse heating failed completely and the temperature dropped to minus eight. Most of them have lost most of their leaves and are looking very sorry for themselves, but now that the heating's fixed there are at least tentative signs of life, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed....
« Last Edit: February 02, 2017, 09:53:38 AM by Alisdair »
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Hilary

« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2017, 08:20:07 AM »
Gossypium & Oryza sativa  Cotton and Asian Rice
This stamp issued in 1951 by REPUBLIK INDONESIA depicts two agricultural products, cotton and rice.

There is plenty of rice and cotton grown in Greece but no one seems to grow it in their gardens.
The only reference I could find for cotton, apart from using cotton waste in compost,  was in
 THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN, issue number 76, April 2014,
SOME MEDITERRANEAN GARDENS ON THE BLACK SEA  by David J. Bracey

A search for rice in the MGS turned up many links to cooking with rice.

I have never seen rice growing so no photo, however, I do have a photo of cotton taken in 1966 at Kastanies on the far north eastern border of Greece
MGS member

John J

« Reply #85 on: February 03, 2017, 10:39:34 AM »
Cotton (Gossypium hirsutum) was grown in Cyprus, and was a main export, into the 1950s. A Technical Bulletin on the Performance of Selected Cotton Varieties under Cyprus Conditions by C M Josephides released by the Agricultural Research Institute in December 1989 can be seen at http://news.ari.gov.cy/publications/tb111-josephides.pdf.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Hilary

« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2017, 07:29:40 AM »
Protea mundii Yet another stamp from the 1977 South African series  FLORA, PROTEA PLANTS.

THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN  does not mention this plant in particular but Proteas in general in
ON THE FRENCH RIVIERA by Melanie Dawe, issue number 49, July 2007.

Photographs illustrating this article can be seen on the MGS website

While searching the internet looking for more information on this plant I came across this article
http://pza.sanbi.org/protea-mundii
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2017, 09:43:05 AM »
Citrus sinensis -Orange
In 1950 Italy issued a stamp series ITALY AT WORK designed by C.Mezzana.
Read all about him  and others in the following link, in Italian.
http://www.lafilatelia.it/images/stories/album/regno_1929_1931.pdf

This is the first stamp of three I have showing agricultural trades
LE ARANCE {SICILIA} - THE ORANGES {SICILY}

The first photo shows some trees near Argos in January 2004.  When the farmers know that the temperature is going to drop below zero they spray the trees with water. I suppose the theory is that the water freezes and not the fruit.

The second photo is of picking oranges last year in Magoula, Lakonia.

There is an interesting article in THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN, number 18, Autumn 1999.
A COLLECTION OF RARE OR HARDY CITRUS CULTIVARS  by Christopher Wieschus

MGS member

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Protecting orange trees against frost by spraying water
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2017, 10:49:19 AM »
That picture of the icicles hanging from an apparently undamaged orange tree is amazing, Hilary!
Alisdair Aird

Hilary

« Reply #89 on: February 06, 2017, 09:08:51 AM »
Vitis - Grape vine
This stamp from the 1950  series, ITALY AT WORK, depicts the vintage with a background of the Castel del Monte
LA VENDEMMIA { PUGLIA}= THE VINTAGE {APULIA}

I don't have any photos of the vintage but do have one showing women pruning/κορυφολόγηση the vines near Corinth  from spring 1966 ot 7 .

The last photo is of the vines and Akrokorinthos. This area is densly built up with houses now.

The article I chose from THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN to accompany this post is in issue number 6, Autumn 1996, A WINE-MAKING ESTATE IN ATTICA by  Caroline Harbouri
MGS member