Morning walk

• 365 Replies

John J

Re: Morning walk
« Reply #360 on: August 25, 2019, 02:46:39 PM »
Following on from last week's trip up the mountain we decided this week to go a little higher to try out the Artemis Nature Trail. This is a circular route of 7 km that circles the top of the mountain at a height of between 1820 and 1860 m asl.
At one point we came across a sight that had us wondering just how far we had walked and if we were still on the same island!
 ???
The North Face ski centre and ski-lift were not in operation either.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #361 on: August 25, 2019, 02:56:25 PM »
Carrying on from the above we did find a few endemics, although not many were in flower at this time of year. The last 2 are not endemics.
Nepeta troodi
Pterocephalus multiflorus
Dianthus strictus ssp troodi
A small Cedrus brevifolia
Genista fasselata var crudelis
Saponaria cypria
Cirsium vulgare not endemic
Self explanatory.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #362 on: August 30, 2019, 08:04:14 AM »
The temperature at this end of the Med is not letting up yet and has added humidity to make it even more uncomfortable. Yesterday when I returned to my car after dropping off grandson at his football training the temperature gauge was registering 42C.

John J

« Reply #363 on: September 01, 2019, 02:38:20 PM »
Today in an attempt to escape the heat, currently registering 38C down here, we drove up the mountain to a village I have never visited before, Gerakies. Beautifully located with stunning views over the Marathasa Valley it would appear to be on the decline. According to an elderly resident in the local coffee shop in his lifetime it has gone from over a thousand residents to a mere 60 today. A great shame. We decided to walk the Ariadne Nature Trail that circles the mountain above the village. This proved to be rather steep for much of the way, with paths of loose rock. What goes up must come down and so the descent into the village was equally steep and loose. I managed to turn my left knee and ended the walk with a swollen knee and a badly bruised ego. I also only managed to get one photo.  :-[

John J

« Reply #364 on: September 08, 2019, 08:02:29 AM »
For today's walk we stayed a bit closer to home, a short drive to the top of the cliffs at Kourion and the site of the Ancient Stadium. It was very hot even in the early morning and we found little to photograph. A squirting cucumber and the first Drimia of the season.

John J

« Reply #365 on: September 15, 2019, 01:40:01 PM »
This morning we headed up the mountain once more and found the following.
Saponaria cypria.
Crocus troodi.
Sideritis cypria.
Hibiscus trionum.
Phlomis lunariifolia.
Thymus capitatus.
Mentha longifolia ssp cyprica. This one was difficult to photograph being so small and growing in heavy shade.
We left a little earlier than intended as a sudden thunderstorm rolled in and we thought it prudent to get out from under the trees. The good thing was that as we drove down the mountain we did not drive out from under the rain and it was still falling when we arrived home. Not heavily but enough to moisten the ground. Our first rain of the season, may there be a lot more.  ;D