Moth

• 6 Replies

KatG

• Email
Moth
« on: October 04, 2016, 04:58:00 PM »
I disturbed this large moth while watering. When resting it does an impressive imitation of wilted leaves. Probably about 9cms from nose to tail.
Katerina Georgi. Interior designer and Garden designer. Has lived, worked and gardened in the southern Peloponnese for the last 26 years. MGS member and head of MGS Peloponnese Branch.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Moth
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 09:43:33 PM »
Kat,

That would have to be an oleander hawk-moth; wonderful moth.

Mike
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

KatG

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 08:07:29 PM »
Thanks Mike, I thought I'd attached a photo but it seems not. I'll try again.
Katerina Georgi. Interior designer and Garden designer. Has lived, worked and gardened in the southern Peloponnese for the last 26 years. MGS member and head of MGS Peloponnese Branch.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 08:24:04 PM »
Yes, that's the one, Kat; wonderful // Mike
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

KatG

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 06:00:09 PM »
The funny thing is that I saw it land on the wall, but when I went for a closer look all I could see was what I thought was a shrivelled leaf! It was very weird.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 09:08:33 PM »
I can believe it, Kat!
Some of Nature's camouflage tricks are amazing. Sorry, I've got to share these fantastic examples
- http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2071125/Masters-disguise-The-gecko-resembles-leaf-natures-camouflage-experts.html

Mike
Mike

KatG

• Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2016, 02:45:25 PM »
Incredible. I love the Praying Mantis!