Flowering Fruit Trees

• 1 Replies

Fermi

• Email
Flowering Fruit Trees
« on: September 03, 2016, 02:22:46 PM »
We got this tree originally as Pseudocydonia sinensis, the Chinese Mock Quince.
The nurseryman friend who sold it to us later told us that it was reclassified as Cydonia sinensis, so no longer a "mock" quince.
According to The Plant List (Kew) it is now Chaenomeles sinensis!!!! Back to being a "Chinese Mock Quince"!
Who says botanical names stay the same while common names keep changing? ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Flowering Fruit Trees
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 10:50:40 AM »
As I've said before: common names can provide a useful veneer over the more turbulent sea of botanical nomenclature that lurks beneath!

It is curious that you should post about Pseudocydonia, as I've been noticing some quinces in the broad sense locally. I was unsure what they were, despite English-speaking locals calling them quinces.

I note:
"Cydonia oblonga has no serrations on the leaf margins and keeps its sepals in the fruit. Pseudocydonia sinensis has deeply serrated leaf margins and deciduous sepals"
p.197 in "Heirloom Gardening in the South: Yesterday's Plants for Today's Gardens"
by William C. Welch, Greg Grant, Cynthia W. Muelle
[https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=_6nQ681qy-4C&pg=PA197&lpg=PA197&dq=pseudocydonia+cydonia+difference]

Since my trees' leaves have smooth margins, that means my trees are Cydonia not Pseudocydonia.
Good to know.
But I was/am intrigued by the fruit being so 'scurfy', not smooth. I shall keep watching to see if the fuzzy fruit become smooth as they mature. Also, I guess fuzziness may vary with cultivar.

To keep this discussion on Pseudocydonia, I've posted my photos of Cydonia here.

Mike
« Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 11:03:36 AM by MikeHardman »
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England