Did he get too big for his britches?

• 4 Replies

John J

Did he get too big for his britches?
« on: August 11, 2016, 05:58:49 AM »
Spotted on my morning walk around today.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Did he get too big for his britches?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2016, 10:19:49 AM »
Good observation John.
Basically, yes.
This is a grasshopper exuvium (skin shed as it moults to become a larger individual).

I have had more trouble than usual from grasshoppers this year - eating foliage of vines and Brachychiton especially.

Mike
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 10:01:48 AM »
A couple of Cicadas who've also grown out of their skins.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2017, 10:13:44 AM »
Good observation, John.
...though I'm a tad worried where this ghoulish curiosity for exuviae might lead you!

Mike
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2017, 03:10:36 PM »
Mike, I saw a report today that stated that people with a warped sense of humour had a tendency to develop dementia. If that's true then I'm right in the firing line, maybe it's starting already. My only hope is that it's fake news.  8)