ARTICLE FROM A GREEK MAGAZINE

• 6 Replies

Hilary

ARTICLE FROM A GREEK MAGAZINE
« on: August 27, 2011, 11:51:23 AM »
I wanted to write to the person who gardens in Chalkidiki but don't remember their name.
I have a photocopy of an article which was printed in the Greek magazine
ΓΕΩΡΓΙΑ ΚΤΗΝΟΤΡΟΦΙΑ 7 IN 1998
This is about a place in the north of Greece near Chalkidiki where they were researching Mediterranean plants which could then be produced in quantity for nurseries.
ΚΕΝΤΡΟ ΓΕΩΡΓΙΚΗΕ ΕΡΕΩΝΑΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΑΣ - ΘΡΑΚΗΣ  aka  Κ.Γ.Ε.Μ.Θ.
 ΕΘ.Ι.ΑΓ.Ε.[I don't know what this second group of initials stands for.]
From what I understand at the end of the article it says that the center was able to supply nurseries with cuttings and information about how to grow the various plants.
There is a list of 20 plants which are cultivated at the installations at THERMI.
You understand this article is already 13 years old and in Greek.
Would the person who gardens in Chalkidiki like me to post them this article via the secretary or president ?
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

JTh

• Email
Re: ARTICLE FROM A GREEK MAGAZINE
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 03:04:57 PM »
There is a research center in Thermi (east of Thessaloniki, on the way to Halkidik)i, which is called:
Agricultural Research Center of Macedonia and Thrace (the Greek name you  gave corresponds to that)
P.O. Box 60125
GR-570 01 Thermi
It belongs to the Aristotelian University in Thessaloniki,  Dr. Eleni Maloupa is scientifically responsible of the Balkan Botanic Garden at Kroussia Mountains, Greece (in the Kilkis prefecture). She may be contacted at

bbgk@bbgk.gr,
+30 2310 471613
+30 2310 478907

I don't know if her reserch center produces plants for nurseries, but they do reseach on plants specifically suited for the Balkan region.
I have been in email contact with her once, but unfortunately never followed up her invitation to visit the  center,

Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 04:00:38 PM »
The initials  (ΕΘ.Ι.ΑΓ.Ε.) stands for ΕΘΝΙΚΟ ΙΔΡΥΜΑ ΑΓΡΟΤΙΚΗΣ ΕΡΕΥΝΑΣ=NATIONAL  AGRICULTURAL   RESEARCH  FOUNDATION  (N.AG.RE.F.), http://www.nagref.gr/
I would very much like to see the article you mention, Hilary, it may be diffucult to link it to the website, but if you could scan the content and send it to me (and others interested in seeing this), it would be great.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Hilary

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 05:08:53 PM »
OK So you know all about the place.
I will see about scanning the article
MGS member

JTh

• Email
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2011, 05:34:11 PM »
I found the reference to the article you refer to from 1998, I can't find the article itself, but I believe I found a newer version at http://www.ekke.gr/estia/Cooper/Synedrio_PSM/maloupa.pdf: EX SITU ΔΙΑΤΗΡΗΣΗ ΑΥΤΟΦΥΤΩΝ ΕΙΔΩΝ ΤΗΣ ΕΛΛΗΝΙΚΗΣ ΧΛΩΡΙΔΑΣ ΣΤΟ ΕΡΓΑΣΤΗΡΙΟ ΠΡΟΣΤΑΣΙΑΣ ΚΑΙ ΑΞΙΟΠΟΙΗΣΗΣ ΑΥΤΟΦΥΤΩΝ ΚΑΙ ΑΝΘΟΚΟΜΙΚΩΝ ΕΙΔΩΝ ΤΟΥ ΕΘΝΙΚΟΘ ΙΔΡΥΜΑΤΟΣ ΑΓΡΟΤΙΚΗΣ ΕΡΕΥΝΑΣ, by the same  Maloupa E. et. al., I believe the reference is from 2010.
The list of specific plants in the article is rather limited though, but in the abstract they say that up to thousand plants have been popagated and are cultivated until now ex situ in two botanic gardens that have been established.

Hilary

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 11:11:46 AM »
I haven't forgotten about you.
I am waiting for one of the moderators to tell me how I should get a copy of this magazine article to you, especially as you say you were not able to find it on the Internet.
By the way , the article I am talking about is in much simpler language and shorter than the very scientific one you found
MGS member

JTh

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 11:31:17 AM »
Thank you, Hilary, no rush. Since you have now reminded me about the centre in Thermi, I may try to go there and see what they are doing.