Pest of trees in Mediterranean - ID please!

• 2 Replies

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Pest of trees in Mediterranean - ID please!
« on: June 26, 2016, 12:08:32 PM »
A member from South Africa, staying with friends on the Mediterranean island of Paros, asked us for advice about some tree damage. the "grub" looks to me like the chrysalis of a wood-boring moth, invading shoots that perhaps were stressed anyway.
This is what she asked:
"Now visiting friends on Paros who have been gardening here for 15 years. I was asked for advice on their mulberry, fig and pomegranate trees, as they had die back on their branches and have been told that they have been deteriorating since 4 years. the trees  are 10 years old. The attached fotos show the 'Grub" that was found in the affected branches."
Any firm ideas on ID and/or treatment?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Pest of trees in Mediterranean - ID please!
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 10:10:09 AM »
It is a beetle pupa.
I can't ID the species, but it doesn't look right for one of the longhorn beetles.
Would really need to see the adult.

Mike
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Pest of trees in Mediterranean - ID please!
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 11:01:02 AM »
Thanks, Mike.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society