some of our cactus

• 8 Replies

Charithea

some of our cactus
« on: June 21, 2016, 01:28:33 PM »
As the temperature is soaring here in Cyprus our cactus are enjoying the little shade of the verandah. The Gymnocalycium opened up as the morning progressed.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 01:36:34 PM by Charithea »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: some of our cactus
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 12:53:22 AM »
High Charithea,

Nice flower. Do you know the names of any other of your cacti? Looking at the second picture you posted, the one immediately behind your Gymnocalycium  (on the back row, right) looks very much like a recent posting of mine on the plant id. pages. I hazarded a guess at Echinopsis arebaloi.

The cactus to the right of your Gymnocalycium, the one with the reddish spines, looks like a cactus I have which I want to post on the id. pages at some point. Any help you can give would be very much appreciated.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 01:08:21 AM »
Looking back at one of your earlier postings Charithea, about your local Cacti and Succulent Society
http://www.mgsforum.org/smf/index.php?topic=2151.0 , it looks like the one with the reddish spines is a kind of Ferocactus. Maybe? 
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 03:51:59 PM »
Hello again David, When I bought my plants at the 'show' this May the label said ferocactusbut I don't know anything else about it. As for the other cactus I was told it was an Echinopsis HP but we have been unable to verify this. The sellers were very busy and had no time to answer questions. I hope to check and name correctly all my cacti and succulents when my knowledgeable friend visits me sometime in July. In the meantime here is another photo of the cactus that open today. Name 'unknow' . It was a parting gift to me by a lovely lady in one of the mountain villages we visited.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

John J

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2016, 10:06:17 AM »
Not all plants need to have showy flowers to make them look attractive.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2018, 07:32:06 AM »
We haven't posted anything on here for a long time but some of our cactus plants have been unfazed by the very hot, dry start to this year.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Hilary

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2018, 07:51:29 AM »
I love the bright colours of the cactus flowers.
Looking back through your cactus photos I noticed a couple which would do very well for the 'plant on postage  stamp project"
I will, of course , refer to your post
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Hilary

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2020, 08:34:27 AM »
Ferocactus pilosus

Seen growing in the green house at THE ROYAL BOTANIC GARDEN, MADRID
In April 2018
I am afraid that the photo is a bit out of focus

Ferocactus is mentioned once in THE MEDITERRANEAN GARDEN so here is all the information you need to know
Journal number 81, July 2015
GARDENING IN A SPANISH NATURE RESERVE
By Beate M. Henz

There are photographs to illustrate this article here
http://www.mediterraneangardensocietyarchive.org/81-reserve.html

Since Ferocactus is already mentioned in this thread I have posted this blurb here
MGS member

Hilary

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2020, 08:40:34 AM »
Ferocactus pilosus

A good look at the ferocious spines
MGS member