Can blackbirds be considered pests?

• 2 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Can blackbirds be considered pests?
« on: June 09, 2016, 08:37:37 AM »
Not really. Who would be without their marvellous song? But there is one that will insist on turning over the soil in my seedling pots with disastrous results. So, dumped plastic vegetable crates to the rescue. I also tried putting pots into an IKEA plastic container. Worked well until yesterday's thunderstorm. I'll go back to dumped crates!
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

Re: Can blackbirds be considered pests?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 03:11:59 PM »
Smart idea, David. Maybe we should start a new thread for forumers to pass on the ways they utilize discarded items like this, as well as any other handy tips along the same lines?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Can blackbirds be considered pests?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2016, 07:30:16 AM »
I have long considered them tolerable 'pests' because their habit of disturbing any kind of mulch in search of food is well known, their strong beaks toss away even  gravel with ease. However their presence in my town garden is a real pleasure, one becoming so tame that it appears the moment I open the door and follows me whatever I am doing. It built a nest in a small solanum bush in the front area where it is now raising a second brood. I speak to it every time I pass and it cocks it's head in acknowledgement. Daily sweeping of the path,and the area adjacent to my small compost heap where it also causes havoc, has become a habit that I accept in return for the pleasure of it's company and song. :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.