Bosea cypria flowers

• 2 Replies

John J

Bosea cypria flowers
« on: April 23, 2016, 11:35:01 AM »
Joanna, I hope you find this as your initial request to see them was on the pages that mysteriously disappeared. As you can see they are so small as to be easily overlooked. I will try to remember to photograph the berries when they appear in the Autumn.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Joanna Savage

Re: Bosea cypria flowers
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 11:43:29 AM »
Thanks for that photo John. It does look as though it might be another box substitute. Much needed, as the few plants that escaped the caterpillar last year are under attack this year. I  was hoping that they may have had some kind of resistance. I found a supply of tiny Euonymus japonica plants, four to an overgrown  pot at  a garden centre. They are now potted separately and I will  wait til the autumn planting to make sure that they are not vividly variegated.

John J

Re: Bosea cypria flowers
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 12:17:22 PM »
I wouldn't advise the Bosea as a box substitute as it is too open in its growth habit, not compact enough. As a larger hedge, perhaps, our 2 bushes are over 2 metres tall.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)