Young Buzzards.

• 3 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Young Buzzards.
« on: April 22, 2016, 07:22:26 AM »
Soaring Buzzards with their distinctive ' mewing' calls are a common sight in the skies above my garden. Yesterday I was treated to a close sighting of two young ones who were practising their flying skills and squawking rather than mewing. One landed on the roof just above me as I was having a short rest from weeding.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
Re: Young Buzzards.
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2016, 11:47:56 AM »
Wonderful!
We get some here, too, though trying to ID to species is tricky.
Crows often mob them, giving a clue to their (big) size.

Bee eaters have been here over a week now.
Great spotted cuckoos, too; more than usual; their call always takes my attention.
Hoopoes continue to add a little delight; never know when one's going to take flight when I'm driving along tracks.
No signs of rollers or golden orioles yet; looking forward to that.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

John J

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016, 02:36:57 PM »
Haven't seen as many Kestrels around here this year as we usually do. Nor have the Bee-eaters put in an appearance yet. As we drove up towards Troodos this morning we caught a glimpse of a Hoopoe and a Jay.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2016, 08:32:05 AM »
There were bee eaters on Corsica last week (during the MGS wild flower tour there), also cuckoos and nightingales; and we saw hoopoes in the southern Peloponnese at the end of March - buzzards there too, doing their showing-off stunts above the crag behind our house. Alas no orioles or rollers  :(
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society