Plant ID please ID'd by Miriam as Catharanthus roseus

• 4 Replies

Luna Azul

Plant ID please ID'd by Miriam as Catharanthus roseus
« on: April 17, 2016, 01:05:45 PM »
My post about the mystery plant seems to have been sent but without the picture (too large), so here it is.   :)  Ray
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 06:24:46 AM by Alisdair »
. . . you saw me standing alone  :)    That aside, I visit the Med and of course cannot resist being interested in the plants I see.  This forum may expand my knowledge.  It is surprising what you can get away with growing in NW England.

Luna Azul

Plant ID please
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 01:07:53 PM »
This is my first try at this and I seem to have submitted a picture minus the message.  please bear with me.
This is a small shrub or sub shrub I always see when visiting the Mediterranean, the Canary Isles and also (last year) Cape Verde.  It has grown from seed so no flowers yet but they are just like those of Busy Lizzie in both size and form (but without the central seed), and vary from white to purple.  It produces small, elongate seed pods.  The plant always has these lovely, glossy leaves and is usually around 18 to 24 inches in height and spread, with a fairly open habit.
Searches online and in the RHS 'bible' have failed so far but it is very commonly grown in gardens.  If anyone can identify it for me I should be most grateful.  Picture in previous post.  Ray
. . . you saw me standing alone  :)    That aside, I visit the Med and of course cannot resist being interested in the plants I see.  This forum may expand my knowledge.  It is surprising what you can get away with growing in NW England.

Miriam

Re: Plant ID please
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 01:08:39 PM »
It is Vinca (Catharanthus roseus)
agronomist from Rehovot, Israel

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Plant ID please
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 05:20:08 PM »
Welcome to the Forum Luna, hope you enjoy participating and learning with us. :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Luna Azul

Re: Plant ID please ID'd by Miriam as Catharanthus roseus
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2016, 11:01:40 PM »
Thanks Miriam.  It is great to discover it originates from Madagascar and has been such an significant source of drugs in treating childhood leukaemia in particular.  A good demonstration of the importance of the rain forests.  I wonder if it grows in the higher, less hot areas.