Ipomoea 'Star of Yalta'

• 4 Replies

Charithea

Ipomoea 'Star of Yalta'
« on: April 14, 2016, 09:28:47 AM »
Here are two photos of our Ipomoea 'Star of Yalta' which came from the MGS seed bank in France. Thank you Chantal. They were put direct into the ground in the Autumn and they have been flowering regularly although they only had a few leaves on.They have such a beautiful purple colour. I have also put down other ipomoeas next to them and I am awaiting for them to flower.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Ipomoea 'Star of Yalta'
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 07:39:52 AM »
Very glad to see those photos, Charithea: it was us that sent the seed to Chantal. But here in the UK even though we start them under glass before planting them out, they don't flower until well into summer!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Charithea

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2016, 10:29:13 AM »
Thank you Alisdair.  I have them growing in a lot of different places. They have such beautiful and rich colour. Normally anything bluish fades in the photos.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 10:12:28 AM by admin »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

John J

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2016, 08:22:35 AM »
Alisdair, thought you might like to see some of the offspring of your 'Star of Yalta'. Obviously seeds from the original plants fell onto this bit of ground and when we came back from Corfu all these little seedlings had appeared. We hadn't got around to doing anything about them and this morning we were greeted by this little beauty.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2016, 05:34:15 PM »
lovely, John - thanks!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society