Growing salvias from seeds

• 21 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Growing salvias from seeds
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2021, 10:28:56 AM »
Your reply is encouraging Charithea. I will persevere with the S nemorosa 'Caradonna' and see if I can get the two new varieties first to survive and second to shame the 'Caradonna' into action. A little bit of emotional blackmail can go a long way!

My Salvia 'Love and Wishes' has flowered non-stop since last spring. A wonderful performer. I shall be moving it into a larger pot shortly as it started out as a very small cutting  and has outgrown its current pot. 

You sent me Salvia eigii last autumn. I germinated a few seeds late autumn and 2 of those seedlings have survived the winter. I sowed the remainder of the seeds a couple of days ago. Fingers crossed. You gave me seeds of a salvia that you didn't know the name of. You simply wrote "lax growth". Did you ever discover what it is? The Salvia interrupta seeds germinated last autumn and some of the resulting seedlings have made it through the winter.

Salvia taraxifolia, kindly given to me by Umbrian, have proven very easy to germinate. Like those you gave me, they are now ready to be potted on. Busy days ahead. But no complaints from me and thanks to both you and Umbrian for your kindness  :)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2021, 05:14:02 PM »
Yes David, the amazing bergamot smelling leaves I have been told by Ioannis Gryllis belong to  Salvia disermas 'Pale Pink' and I have also a white one.   If you look Salvia disermas Pink on Google and go to Disermas Forms -Victoria Salvia Study Group, there is a lot of useful information. Salvia interrupta has such beautiful large flowers and can be easily growing by cuttings in the Spring time. I now have several.  Only negative thing is they became rather 'tatty' looking in the late summer. My  Salvia taraxacifolia that came as a small plant from Sparoza died last summer. Dare I hope that it will regrow?
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2021, 07:59:59 AM »
My Salvia taraxacifolia did so well last year that I collected seed to distribute amongst friends. This spring I have found numerous small seedlings in the area where the original plant continues to flourish so if your plant flowered well Charithea and set seed then look out for volunteers. It is a very worthwhile plant with unusual leaves and a long flowering period so if your want some seed please let me know.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2021, 05:00:12 PM »
No, unfortunately my Salvia taraxacifolia never grew big enough to flower. I was hoping that it would regrow from the roots.  Yes,  I would like some seeds please, thank you.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2021, 10:29:42 AM »
Charithea, how are your Salvia nemerosa doing? I have had S nemerosa 'Caradonna' for 2 years (this will be its 3rd summer) and not a flower. It was a mature plant when I bought it. Today I was in my local supermarket and they were selling roots of S nemerosa 'Schneehugel' and 'Blauhugel' at €2. 49 for a pack. Each pack contains 2 of each type of plant. At that price I couldn't resist but I fear I will be disappointed again. I wonder if it is just too hot here for what is really a cross between central European species, it seems.

I can report some success. The "emotional blackmail" tactic seems to have had some effect, with S nemerosa 'Caradonna' producing a couple of flower spikes for the first time this year. S nemerosa 'Schneehugel' and 'Blauhugel' have done even better, despite it being their first year in my garden.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2021, 04:00:24 PM »
Well done David. Next time  I manage to acquire  Salvia caradonna I will shame it and hope to have good results. I have been rescuing some Salvia splendens lately. They were being sold for 50 cents each. I bought four and put them in the red area where my solidary 'splendens' is growing. My Australian nephew brought me seeds almost 3 years ago and one of them grew and it is still going. If the seddlings, which grew from the second batch of Sydney seeds continue to grow then I will have a bright area. I am also growing Salvia coccinea there.

Charithea

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2021, 09:56:45 AM »
Here is my Salvia, name unknown, grown from seed collected from Diomedes' Garden Greece.  I know it will grow bigger with time because when I was collecting the seeds I remember how large the leaves and the plants were overall .   I have 2 more plants. It has taken two years for the seed to grow and flower.  The 'flower' resembles that of Salvia candelabra.  If anybody recognizes it please let me know.