A -Z of Plants Umbrian's contributions to the vanished pages

• 35 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Re: A -Z of Plants Umbrian's contributions to the vanished pages
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2016, 06:58:51 AM »
Trachelospermum jasminoides
Very widely grown in Italy. Succeeds best when not exposed to full sun during the hottest hours and succeeds for me in a totally shaded, but light area.

Trachelospermum asiaticum
Withstands full sun but for me the scent is very overpowering and lacks the sharp, fresh citrus element.

Thymus vulgaris
Have tried many different Thymws but this remains the most reliable.

Thunbergia alata
Grow this from seed each year - the 'happy' flowers take me back to my childhood when my mother grew it :)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2016, 09:32:18 PM »
Going back to Teucrium fruticans 'Azureum' - beware. Some specimens spread disastrously by runners. One of mine crossed under a gravel path and ended up in another bed, In fact I've just had to oust an entire plant because it was gobbing up all the space it could and threatening to choke the other plants in the bed. All my Azureum plants are from cutting from two originals, the Sparoza cuttings being the polite ones.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2016, 06:26:12 AM »
Thanks for the warning Fleur - it is in my new, small garden where everything grows bigger and faster than I was accustomed to in my original Mediterranean garden (due to the wonderful soil cultivated over many years) Can't afford anything that likes to take over!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2016, 06:35:16 AM »
Onto 'V' with some real favourites.

Viburnum x carlcephalum

Viburnum plictum

Viburnum rhytidophyllum

Viburnum tints

The first mentioned is filling the garden with it wonderful scent at the moment making the endless Spring tidy up more pleasurable.
The plicatum has struggled despite being planted in a fairly shaded area but has flowered for the first time this year.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2016, 06:50:56 AM »
Continuing with 'V'

Verbascum thapsus

Verbena bonariensis

A real favourite and something I could not do without. Beloved by butterflies.

Veronica prostrata (Blue Skies)
I put Blue Skies in brackets because I brought a small piece of this much loved plant to Italy when we came nearly eighteen years ago. It spreads steadily and is drought tolerant. In full flower at the moment it is a real eye catcher holding its intensely blue flowers erect over bright green feathery foliage.

Vitis vinifera 'Purpurea'
Quite an ungainly climber in my experience but wonderfully changing leaf colours from first to last and the grapes, if small, are sweet and edible if taken by the mouthful!

Vitex agnus-castus.
Have tried to avoid repeating John's subjects but must add this as another real favourite. The colour of the flowers can vary considerably-  an intense blue being my preferred. It is a very beautiful small tree or shrub with aromatic leaves.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 03:34:10 PM by Alisdair »

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2016, 06:54:16 AM »
Final posting today for W and Y.
It has been a bumpy ride with the thread disappearing but many thanks again to Fleur for her help and to John for instigating the project. At least now I have a fairly comprehensive listing of subjects in my garden(s) although some work remains to track down exact cultivars etc.- a job for next winter I fear.

Wisteria floribunda
I have three Wisteria but by far my favourite is 'Royal Purple syn 'Black Dragon' for the deep colour of its flowers.

Yucca gloriosa
Yucca filamentosa

Beware of the roots of these when planting - they become huge and the slightest piece will happily and rapidly produce a new plant.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2016, 07:31:45 AM by Alisdair »