A -Z of Plants Umbrian's contributions to the vanished pages

• 35 Replies

Hilary

Re: A -Z of Plants Umbrian's contributions to the vanished pages
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2016, 12:57:29 PM »
Everytime someone writes about the rose 'Zephirine Drouhin' I remember my mother.
Here she is with my little dog, Judy, sitting in a suntrap next to the climbing rose in the North East of the UK.
All gone now.

MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2016, 06:21:15 AM »
No, 'Not all gone now' you still have some wonderful memories........
My garden is full of memories and old friends - when we moved to Italy in retirement many friends from England would visit and then buy me a plant or tree for the garden I was developing. Some of those friends have since died but they live on in my garden. My Wisteria is Shirley, my two Campsis Doreen and Jane, and my Tillia, Ann. Then there are all the things given by new friends made through the MGS too numerous to mention- a garden is a wonderful place for memories!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2016, 06:25:58 AM »
Continuing with 'R'  

Rhamnus alaternus

Rhodanthemum hosmariense

Russelia equisetiformis
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 10:36:03 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2016, 06:47:03 AM »
Please, can any IPad user tell me how to change back from Italics to ordinary script? Once I have changed to Italics the only way I seem to be able to get off them is by pressing B that brings up bold print and then poor Alisdair has to correct it for me! I want to be able to put in comments about some of the plants but have been deterred from doing so due to my poor computer skills  :(

JTh

• Email
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2016, 09:07:14 AM »
When you have written something in italics, you see that the word starts and ends with an i surrounded by square brackets. To continue with normal text, you just press the arrow key until you are outside (to the right of) the last i in square brackets.

Alternatively, you write the text without any spesific editing, then you just mark the part you want in italics, then press the button for italics to make the wanted change.

I have done it now on my iPad to see if it works. And it did.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 09:25:27 AM by JTh »
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2016, 09:36:07 PM »
Many thanks Jorun - will give it a go tomorrow, too tired now after a long day in the garden!

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2016, 06:32:03 AM »
Here goes with 'S' and I hope to get the italics right.

Scabiosa caucasica
Lovely flowers and wonderful seed heads. (Now reclassified as Lomelosia caucasica.)

Sedum spectabile
Sedum telephium

Sisyrinchium striatum
A nice architectural plant that withstands drought and poor soil.

Sphaeralcea munroana
Very lax growing but flowers a lovely colour and keep coming all summer.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 08:30:14 AM by Alisdair »

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2016, 06:34:07 AM »
NO ......I did not succeed with first method of mastering italics - will try your second suggestion Jorun!

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 06:37:15 AM »
Continuing with 'S'

Spartium junceum
Prolific around us but very worthy in the garden.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 06:38:01 AM »
Wow  - now must remember how I did it!

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2016, 06:46:10 AM »
Onwards before I forget.

Symphytum officinale
Good in the wilder areas of the garden and leaves good for steeping in water for a liquid feed ( or just composting)

Stipa gigantea
My favourite grass - needs space but a real eye catcher.

Charithea

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2016, 09:14:37 AM »
Well done Carol. You have done it. I got so fed up with my ipad for not reducing photos to the desired size that I enrolled last Autumn at the computer evening class. I am among a group of senior citizens, some in their middle 70s, who had rather responsible jobs, but could not use the computers effectively. Now together we have managed to reduce photos, download etc.   I had forgotten to say that I introduced them to the forum. I asked the teacher to project the pictures on the whiteboard. They loved the photos.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2016, 10:53:33 AM by Charithea »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2016, 10:31:35 AM »
I'm glad you found out of this, Carol and well done to you as well, Charithea
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2016, 06:18:51 AM »
Before I leave 'S' I must mention Salvias. I have quite a few and need to identify exactly which ones - when I have the time....Happy in dry not conditions many flower throughout the summer and are easily propagated through cuttings. I love the varying aromatic scents they exude through leaves and flowers. Amongst them are:-

Salvia greggii

Salvia jamensis

Salvia microphylla

Salvia elegans

Salvia lavandulifolia

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2016, 06:48:59 AM »
On to 'T'.....

Teucrium fruticans
This rather lax growing plant can be trimmed to keep it compact bit it can look rather ungainly. After after seeing a wonderful specimen growing freely in Sicily I decided the best thing was to allow it the required space. Last year I found

Teucrium fruticans 'Azureum'
This has deeper blue flowers and makes more of an impact.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 05:39:30 PM by Alisdair »