A to Z of plants continuation

• 153 Replies

John J

Re: A to Z of plants continuation
« Reply #135 on: August 25, 2019, 03:02:07 PM »
Unfortunately due to other circumstances I have been unable to post to this thread today. See Morning walks under Miscellaneous for more info.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #136 on: August 26, 2019, 06:42:11 AM »
My wife has developed a passion for salvias and we have around 25 or so varieties.
I have tried to photograph some that are in flower at the moment, but they are mostly either coming to an end or just beginning. Any mis-identifications are down to me.
Salvia coccinea
S. coccinea 'Brenthurst'
Salvia 'Amistad'
Salvia 'Love & Wishes'
S. mexicana 'Limelight'
S. farinacea
S. elegans
S. discolor
S. splendens 'Martinus Borg'
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 10:27:43 AM by John J »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #137 on: August 27, 2019, 06:25:31 AM »
I too have developed a passion for Salvias and there seems to be no end to the 'new' varieties on offer. Am still hoping to establish discolour but so far no success.  In the meantime I continue to enjoy many of the others you have photographed having been the thankful recipient of cuttings from David (Dickinson) who shares our passion.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #138 on: August 27, 2019, 06:57:36 AM »
Along with the common Sansevieria trifasciata we also have S. cylindrica.

Charithea

« Reply #139 on: August 27, 2019, 09:05:10 AM »
Carole, my original Salvia discolorcame from Sparoza and I have managed to grow 5 more of which 3 I gave away.  It took many tries to get those 5 . Another Salvia which took time to establish has been the Salvia farinacea. I have been buying them every year. I have managed to keep one alive from last year the others are new purchases. David  posted me cuttings (thank you again) and some have flourished. I grew also seeds from MGS seed bank (thank you Chantal)  and I was tempted by the lovely selection in Italy and bought some last year but only the Martinus Borg survived.  We had a hot summer and one by one died.  Luckily Yiannis Gryllis in Marathon, has also a large selection of Salvias and I was lucky to get some good specimens to make up for their loss.  I plan to pay him a visit in October to get some more. Wishing you a cooler time.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2019, 11:39:12 AM by Charithea »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

John J

« Reply #140 on: August 28, 2019, 06:32:00 AM »
We have one or two varieties of Sedum, the one shown is Sedum tatarinowii 'Thundercloud', most often reduced to just S.'Thundercloud'. So much simpler.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #141 on: August 28, 2019, 07:29:14 AM »
I shall keep trying with S discolor as it is so unusual but shall have to be more discriminating with others now I have a much smaller garden. I find some are very lax and straggly and I just don't have the space. One new acquisition this year,from a  vivaio near to Assisi that has a good selection, is 'Crazy Dolls'.  Despite its rather odd name it has good firm growth and the flowers are two shades of pink. A greggii/mycrophylla shrubby type that usually so well for me.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Charithea

« Reply #142 on: August 28, 2019, 11:38:16 AM »
Carole I bought 'Dancing doll' salvia from Yiannis Gryllis. It was recommended to me by Fleur. It has two tone pink flowers.  Very tough and it is under the hot sun almost all day. The above plant was given to me by David D last year. Thank U D.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

John J

« Reply #143 on: August 29, 2019, 06:12:01 AM »
Senna corymbosa provides a bright splash of yellow from spring right through into the summer. We find that ours fare better given some shade and supplementary water during the hottest months.

John J

« Reply #144 on: August 30, 2019, 07:56:46 AM »
The first 2 photos are of the Cyprus endemic, Sideritis cypria, the other is S. perfoliata.

John J

« Reply #145 on: August 31, 2019, 07:36:33 AM »
The flowers of Stephanotis floribunda are very fragrant. Difficult to get to these particular ones because they are high up in the branches of a Melia tree as can be seen from the distinctive berries.

John J

« Reply #146 on: September 01, 2019, 05:00:07 PM »
Cheating with this one as it is not currently in flower but is such a beautiful, drought tolerant native of Cyprus that I did not want to overlook it. Styrax officinalis grows into a large bush that covers itself in white flowers in spring.

John J

« Reply #147 on: September 02, 2019, 05:52:37 AM »
With us this gardenia look-alike, Tabernaemontana divaricata, does best in a shaded spot with some supplementary water  in the hottest months.

John J

« Reply #148 on: September 03, 2019, 06:57:10 AM »
Another plant that can be guaranteed to provide a bright splash all through the summer is Tecoma stans. This particular one is by our front gate and welcomes us home.
We also have Tecoma capensis but they are not in flower at this time.

John J

« Reply #149 on: September 03, 2019, 04:36:48 PM »
I forgot to include Tecoma stans 'Orange Jubilee'.