A to Z of plants continuation

• 153 Replies

John J

Re: A to Z of plants continuation
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2019, 10:32:50 AM »
With regard to today's post and the Buddleja davidii. I used some old photos as our plants had not yet begun to flower and I thought they would look a bit dull and boring. When I returned from a shopping trip at lunch time my wife pointed out that one of them had suddenly burst into bloom. So I took a photo, complete with Green Shield Bug!
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2019, 06:20:53 AM »
Another buddleja, this one Buddleja madagascariensis. A rather lax plant that we have found will grow up and over everything if left to its own devices. Attractive orange-yellow flowers but with a smell that I find unpleasant while some don't seem to mind it.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #47 on: June 14, 2019, 09:34:00 AM »
In the challenging climatic conditions prevailing in our garden many plants take a long time, years in some cases, to establish. A case in point is our Calliandra californica that we obtained 7 years ago and is not much larger now than it was then.

John J

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2019, 04:55:10 AM »
We have a mature Callistemon viminalis tree that flowers well every spring, just caught the last of them.

John J

« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2019, 07:31:51 AM »
 Carissa macrocarpa is planted outside our retaining wall and hangs over. Out there it gets no supplementary water except for what might seep under the wall when we water the succulents on this side. The flowers are pleasantly scented and if planted en masse it could make an effective security fence with its compact growth and vicious thorns.

John J

« Reply #50 on: June 17, 2019, 06:58:24 AM »
Carthamus tinctorius is an annual but it comes back every year and is such a beautiful plant that I couldn't resist including it here.

John J

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2019, 11:22:41 AM »
We acquired our Centaurea akamantis from the Agricultural Research Institute in 2006. A rare Cyprus endemic, known from only 1 location, it was being trialled for suitability as a garden plant.

John J

« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2019, 06:58:26 AM »
As is the case with many of our plants Ceratostigma plumbaginoides took time to acclimatise and establish but has now taken off.

John J

« Reply #53 on: June 20, 2019, 09:13:00 AM »
Another plant with sky blue flowers, Commelina erecta, spreads freely and needs to be kept in check.

John J

« Reply #54 on: June 21, 2019, 06:48:59 AM »
Our Clerodendrum x speciosum has been in flower for a few weeks while the C. chinense is only now beginning and the C. bungei has yet to join in.

John J

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2019, 05:54:32 AM »
The Convolvulus cneorum is not in flower at the moment whereas the C. oleiofolius has a few. The photos show the distinct difference in leaf shape and size between the two.

John J

« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2019, 06:27:41 AM »
Although our Correa backhouseanna is not presently in flower I've included it as a success story because it has not only established well but cuttings taken from it have provided 2 young plants for other parts of the garden.

John J

« Reply #57 on: June 24, 2019, 06:04:40 AM »
Eleven years ago we acquired a small Crithmum maritimum plant that has grown slowly into a mound that provides a touch of green throughout the hottest months of the year. The flowers are not spectacular but the leaves appear to be a favourite food of the caterpillars of the Swallowtail butterfly.

John J

« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2019, 08:11:20 AM »
The Firecracker Plant, Dicliptera suberecta is a must have for heat and drought tolerance. Ours came from a friend in Greece.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #59 on: June 26, 2019, 05:43:04 AM »
Looks like an attractive plant in all ways with striking flowers of a beautiful colour - must look out for it John - you are a mine of information.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.