A to Z of plants continuation

• 153 Replies

John J

Re: A to Z of plants continuation
« Reply #90 on: July 20, 2019, 05:48:45 AM »
Hibiscus mutabilis.
Hibiscus platanifolius.
One of a whole range of Hibiscus rosa-sinensis plus the more delicate flower and variegated leaves of the variety 'Cooperi'.
Hibiscus syriacus.
Hibiscus tiliaceus
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2019, 01:24:25 PM »
Jacaranda mimosifolia must be one of the most spectacular flowering trees. Our 3 are not currently in flower the photo was taken one spring.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #92 on: July 22, 2019, 10:52:23 AM »
Various species of Kalanchoe.
K. beharensis, also K. beharensis 'Fang'.
K. blossfeldiana.
K. orgyalis.
K. thyrsiflora.
K. tomentosa.
'Fang' seems to have got added on at the end instead of alongside its species. ???
« Last Edit: July 22, 2019, 10:57:49 AM by John J »

John J

« Reply #93 on: July 23, 2019, 07:58:14 AM »
Our Lagunaria patersonii is around 15 years old and is currently covered in seed pods. These pods are full of small, irritating hairs that have led to the tree being given common names such as 'Cow Itch Tree'. The photo of the flower is from earlier.

John J

« Reply #94 on: July 24, 2019, 06:02:27 AM »
Lantana camara, a very drought tolerant shrub that can become invasive in certain circumstances. It has been banned in some countries for that reason. We have never had that problem as ours get no supplementary water and need all their strength merely to survive. They are not to everyone's taste as the variety of their flower colour makes them difficult to coordinate with other plants.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #95 on: July 24, 2019, 07:34:49 AM »
You may have come late to gardening John but the variety of plants that you grow never ceases to amaze me. The Lagunaria is a new one to me - I would think it looks very attractive when in bloom.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #96 on: July 24, 2019, 10:04:18 AM »
You are right, Carole, it is an attractive tree in flower. I seem to recall that there should be more info about it in the Trees and Shrubs section from a few years ago.

John J

« Reply #97 on: July 25, 2019, 06:41:32 AM »
Leonotis leonurus is described as moderately drought tolerant, but as it originates from damp grasslands in southern Africa we find that ours need some supplementary water to survive.

John J

« Reply #98 on: July 26, 2019, 12:25:04 PM »
The flowers of Limoniastrum monopetalum have mostly gone over now but I am including it as it is such a tough plant that stands up to all our particular climate can throw at it.

John J

« Reply #99 on: July 27, 2019, 06:30:08 AM »
Limonium perezii is fairly drought tolerant and grows in poor soil, Limonium sinuatum grows near the sea and is even more drought resistant.

John J

« Reply #100 on: July 28, 2019, 05:07:02 AM »
Our Loropetalum chinense struggles a bit in the heat and needs some TLC but it's worth it when it flowers.

John J

« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2019, 08:12:57 AM »
A very useful drought-tolerant, summer-dormant plant is Medicago arborea. The first photo was taken this morning and the other one spring.

John J

« Reply #102 on: July 30, 2019, 07:58:51 AM »
Today we have one of those plants with a name that the taxonomists like to test us with from time to time, Megaskepasma erythrochlamys. Fortunately its a monotypic genus, meaning there is only one species to remember the name of.  8)
Our mature plant is not in flower at this time of the year. We took cuttings from it that rooted quite easily and so have some small plants that are growing on well.

John J

« Reply #103 on: July 31, 2019, 06:17:09 AM »
I believe this to be Melaleuca nesophila. I left it a bit late to take the photo and so the little pink pom-poms are rather past their expiry date.  :-[

John J

« Reply #104 on: July 31, 2019, 06:20:55 AM »
When I was going through the Hs I skipped over Hedychium as none of them were in flower, but 'Tara' has begun to open.