A Box substitute ID'd by Fermi as Euonymus japonicus

• 4 Replies

Joanna Savage

A Box substitute ID'd by Fermi as Euonymus japonicus
« on: March 25, 2016, 06:08:09 PM »
This small leafed Escallonia, growing beside Lentiscus, is growing well. At least, I think it is Escallonia, I bought it as a 10 cm plant in the Floral Art section of a local Garden Centre, no label. The leaf is smaller than Pride of Donard which is in the garden. I would be glad to hear opinions as to whether it is Escallonia, if so, which one. Whatever it is, it is shaping up to be a good substitute for the dark evergreen box which has been destroyed by the caterpillar in this garden.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 08:42:00 AM by Alisdair »

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Escallonia, a Box substitute?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2016, 06:50:35 AM »
Joanna, I don't think it is an Escallonia (which I doubt would do so well in mediterranean conditions). I'll prompt Oron to have a look!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Joanna Savage

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2016, 08:56:19 AM »
Thanks for your reply Aisdair. I'll be waiting to see the flowers. Meantime  I'll try cuttings of various aged woods and tips at different times of the year.

Fermi

• Email
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 11:50:06 AM »
Hi Joanna,
It looks a bit like the euonymus which is sold here as a box substitute!
Euonymus japonicus, I think,
cheers
fermi
Mr F de Sousa, Central Victoria, Australia
member of AGS, SRGC, NARGS
working as a physio to support my gardening habit!

Joanna Savage

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 06:28:48 AM »
Thank you Fermi, I am sure you are correct. I have been so put off by yellow variegated Euonymus with thick leathery leaves that I didn't pay enough attention to the rest of the genus.