Step over apples or other edible 'hedge'?

• 4 Replies

Maggie Vance

• Email
Step over apples or other edible 'hedge'?
« on: November 19, 2015, 12:03:08 PM »
Does anyone have experience of growing step-over apples  in a Mediterranean climate? Or any suggestions for another 'edible' lowish hedge to grow along edge of stone terrace walls. We are near the coast in NW Italy so mild climate and no frost. Thank you.
MGS member with a hillside terraced garden in Liguria. New to gardening in this climate so a lot to learn.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Step over apples or other edible 'hedge'?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 10:52:25 PM »
How about pomegranates? In Andalucia we saw hedges of miniature pomegranates in Cordoba Botanic Garden and elsewhere, but there also seem to be some quite dwarf fruiting trees which could be trained as a hedge. I have one which is years old but since shorter than me. I've no idea of the variety I'm afraid.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Joanna Savage

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 09:18:38 AM »
How about an interesting strange hedge of lemons? After reading Helena Attlee, The Land Where Lemons Grow, and seeing that you are in mild NW Italy, I wonder if you are near Savona and chinotto citrus land. Perhaps tough lemons could be very productive.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 10:44:46 AM »
I planted a short hedge of step- over apples, (sourced in the UK) in Umbria about 14 years ago. They established well with regular watering during their first summer. Thereafter no additional water. They crop well - the only trouble being that the local deer population delight in such easy pickings and regularly strip the fruit before it is anywhere near mature - attending to a fair bit of " pruning" at the same time. Despite this rather treatment regarding "pruning" the trees continue to flourish and are very pretty in the spring when covered in blossom.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Caroline

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 06:40:52 AM »
I would go for citrus - maybe something pretty tough, with smallish fruit, like a kumquat or limequat. I have also seen it done with mandarins.  The trick is to be ruthless with the pruning - something I am not so good at ::)
I am establishing a garden on Waiheke Island, 35 minutes out of Auckland. The site is windy, the clay soil dries out quickly in summer and is like plasticine in winter, but it is still very rewarding. Water is an issue, as we depend on tanks. I'm looking forward to sharing ideas. Caroline