Nest building.

• 2 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Nest building.
« on: March 07, 2016, 08:15:55 AM »
Enjoyed watching this blackbird collecting nesting material - and tidying up one of my ornamental grasses for me!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

Re: Nest building.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 11:53:20 AM »
Wonderful!  That's a great garden bed for ground feeders like blackbirds.  Lots of low shrubs, they must love it.  Do you have them year round?  We are up a hill from a lake - in autumn robins and blackbirds come up near us, but from spring they move down to the shrubs around the lake.  It's not a large distance, but we really never see them in the garden during summer.

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Nest building.
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 02:01:51 PM »
Hi Melissa, the 'photo was taken in our small town garden where we get lots of blackbirds, tits, robins, sparrows starlings etc. I put fat and fruit out and we have a large Kaki tree that the blackbirds love in the winter. I also have a birdbath. Sorry the 'photo was not very clear I had to hide behind the curtain and take it through the window!
In the country, where we still have a house with a large garden, we see many different birds but as I have said
before they hardly ever come to feed on things I put out- occasionally a robin.
( Am still considering shrubs etc with berries for migratory birds for you)
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.