Opuntia ID'd by Aristoflora as Opuntia humifusa

• 5 Replies

Hilary

Opuntia ID'd by Aristoflora as Opuntia humifusa
« on: January 29, 2016, 02:48:04 PM »
Opuntia, but which one?
If any one knows could they please let me know?
The poor plant is behind bars, but look at the flower.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 09:14:45 AM by Alisdair »
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Opuntia
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 04:57:03 PM »
In my view behind bars is exactly where every opuntia should be - a criminal genus.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 11:53:31 AM »
I am currently doing a " Ecological Humanities" course that I am finding very interesting. Who are we as humans, and just a part of the whole system, to decide what is desirable and what not? This conflict often rears its head when gardening as I am only too aware - which insects are pests and which useful, when is a plant a weed or just growing where we do not want it etc. food for thought indeed and, I am not plagued by Opuntia!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 04:04:25 PM »
Towards the end of last year we eventually decided to completely remove a veritable giant of an Opuntia ficus-indica from the top left hand corner of our property. The job was accomplished with the assistance of a workman with a chainsaw. The resulting debris filled a large skip. We now have a very large area to fill with new planting and no regrets at losing the fruit from the plant as it produced far more than we could ever consume. In fact the only complaints came from various neighbours who we used to supply with the excess fruit. The following photos do not do justice to the size of the beast in question or to the amount of debris that had to be disposed of but they were taken by my wife on her iPad and are the only record we took.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

aristoflora

• Email
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 10:01:28 AM »
Hilary,

I'm quite sure your Opuntia is O. humifusa - my plant looks almost identical in size and flowers. If your species is from the Mediterranean, it will be this species, otherwise there are many more similar species in the Americas...

Regards
aristoflora

Hilary

Re: Opuntia ID'd by Aristoflora as Opuntia humifusa
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 09:34:23 AM »
Many thanks for your identification of the Opuntia.
Next time I see this particular plant I will look to see if it has barbed spines which Opuntia humifusa has
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care