Morning walk

• 484 Replies

John J

Re: Morning walk
« Reply #480 on: May 29, 2021, 04:58:33 PM »
I didn't take many photos of the plants in the garden this time, but I did get a couple that I found unusual. The first is a Hypericum called 'Hidcote' that I had not come across before. The second is a plant that I can't recall seeing in Cyprus anywhere else, it's a Spirea species or possible hybrid unknown.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #481 on: May 31, 2021, 07:43:13 AM »
What an interesting place - and wonderful to see natural springs harnessed in such a sympathetically productive way.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #482 on: June 03, 2021, 09:10:05 AM »
Usually when I take my morning walk I can count on the company of a faithful companion. This morning, however, she was 'crashed out' under a tree, I dread to think what she had been up to overnight to be so tired today!
We have enjoyed some of the early fruits already this year but here are ones that we are looking forward to sampling in the weeks to come.
Persimmon/Kaki
One of the few apples to grow successfully at this low altitude, a variety called 'Anna".
Physalis.
Medlar
Fig
Guava
Mango
Pomegranate
Avocado
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #483 on: June 04, 2021, 08:33:03 AM »
Your last post re fruit made me very sad John because this year I shall have nothing to look forward to. A severe late frost took all the young leaves on both my Kaki and Pomegranate and only now are they slowly re-leafing. The  spring garden looked very strange without the spreading branches of the Kaki providing its usual backdrop of fresh greenness. I feared for the young Pomegranate  that last year had had  its first good crop. Keeping a worried eye on it I was surprised but relieved to see leaves shooting from the still slender trunk but wondered if some of the branches might be dead. Slowly however it is re-leaving along most of its branches although the tips of many seem dead.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #484 on: July 02, 2021, 06:52:19 AM »
Haven't posted on here for a while but the temperature and humidity is climbing to the point where attempting to do any physical work is uncomfortable so this morning I took the camera out instead.
We have:
Justicia carnea ssp fistulosa
Hibiscus syriacus
Carissa macrocarpa
Tabernaemontana divaricata
Jaborosa integrifolia
Buddleja davidii