Morning walk

• 484 Replies

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: Morning walk
« Reply #420 on: January 27, 2020, 12:56:09 AM »
I finally got chance today to do some much needed tidying up in the garden. My flower stuation is much poorer than Charithea and John's. Here is what I managed to find. Apart from the Tagetes and Buddleja there were only one or two flowers on any individual plant. The definition of "flower" had to be stretched a little to allow myself to include Salvia leucantha.

Salvia discolor, Buddleja madagarensis, Salvia leucantha 'Midnight', Lantana[/i] sp,, Tagetes lemmonii, Vinca minor 'Atropurpurea', Salvia guaranatica 'Costa-Rican Blue' and Salvia 'Phyllis' Fancy'. I have added a photo of Roldana petasitis in bud as a promise of things to come. Unless we have another "Beast from the East", of course.

I noticed as I attached the photos that one of the flowers on S. 'Phyllis' Fancy seems to be mauve, not white. I must check tomorrow when it is lightt.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #421 on: February 02, 2020, 09:00:44 AM »
Another fine, sunny but chilly day so was able to take the camera out in the garden this morning.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #422 on: February 02, 2020, 09:06:02 AM »
It proved to be quite a profitable outing, here are a few more.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #423 on: February 09, 2020, 10:56:07 AM »
With today's temperature down into single figures and a wind-chill factor making things even more unpleasant I've taken a photo from one of our kitchen windows rather than venture outside. It shows a somewhat eclectic mix of plants, and continents, with Echium candicans from the Canary Islands beginning to show flower spikes ready to open, Euphorbia trigona from South Africa standing tall and Eremophila glabra from Australia in the background.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 10:57:45 AM by John J »

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #424 on: February 10, 2020, 08:50:51 AM »
Beautiful photograph John. Although we all welcome flowers, careful planting with regard to form and foliage can make the garden interesting at all times.👍
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #425 on: February 16, 2020, 02:49:52 PM »
Today turned out to be sunny and relatively warm so we decided to check out the mandrakes up on the cliffs at Kourion. They were open, as were a few other specimens.

John J

« Reply #426 on: February 17, 2020, 12:32:13 PM »
Another sunny morning so we set off to check out an area on the edge of the Akrotiri Salt Lake. We found these beautiful Ranunculus asiaticus and a single orchid that I thought of as Ophrys syriaca but I now see that according to Yiannis Christofides book, 'Illustrated Flora of Cyprus' I have to start calling Anacamptis syriaca. Then my camera decided to go on strike, refusing to work, and I had to wait until I got home to fix it.

John J

« Reply #427 on: February 22, 2020, 11:11:17 AM »
Yesterday was a day of rain, varying between light drizzle and torrential downpours all day. This morning dawned bright and clear so I took a few photos of flowers that I haven't featured so far this year.
Teucrium fruticans 'Azureum'.
Euphorbia milii.
Phlomis lunariifolia.
Brugmansia suaveolens.
Hibiscus platanifolius.
Calliandra californica.
Medicago arborea.
Viburnum tinus.
Chasmanthe aethiopica.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 11:14:25 AM by John J »

John J

« Reply #428 on: February 23, 2020, 05:08:02 PM »
Another sunny day, perfect for getting out and about for some fresh air after the days of heavy rain we've had lately. Unfortunately family commitments prevented us taking a morning walk but, as we need to get some excercise ready for the Jordan trip, we decided on an afternoon one. Our destination was the clifftop area above the mythical birthplace of the goddess Aphrodite. The large rock in the photo is known in English as 'Aphrodite's Rock' in recognition of this event. However to the locals it's 'Petra tou Romiou', the stone of the Greek (that is Byzantine or Eastern Roman). This is in reference to the legendary giant, Digenes Akritas, who is said to have warded off an attack by Saracen pirates by hurling the rocks into the sea, the resulting tidal wave swamping and destroying the invaders ships.
It's personal choice as to which version you believe.  ;)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #429 on: February 24, 2020, 09:12:02 AM »
A beautiful spot John as I remember well from our one visit to your lovely Island many years ago - think I prefer the romantic version....we took a long peaceful walk in that area
soaking up the peaceful beauty.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #430 on: February 27, 2020, 09:58:17 AM »
Every year cyclamen pop up in all sorts of places that we didn't put them. The work of ants perhaps?

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #431 on: February 27, 2020, 11:15:39 AM »
Hi John,

I noticed a photo of Chasmanthe a little earlier in this thread. Like my posting a few days ago about Nerines, this is a plant (Chasmanthe floribunda) I have little success with. Even leaving aside the year -7°C burnt the plant to the ground and the other time a builder let his ladder crash down on the plants snapping most of them at soil level, I have only ever had one flower on one plant in over 10 years :-( Any suggestions as to how to get it to flower? Mine are in a very large pot and I have replaced the soil a couple of times. Two keeled over in the strong winds we had here a couple of days ago.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #432 on: February 27, 2020, 12:46:09 PM »
David, the plants we have are Chasmanthe aethiopica which I believe is basically a smaller version of C. floribunda. Our problem with them is to keep their numbers down, they reproduce like crazy, I give away loads of them every year. They seem to do best in sunny, or semi-shaded, areas that get little or no water in summer. We don't have frosts so that isn't a problem. I can only suggest trying giving them a dose of fertiliser once they start into growth. Sorry I can't be of more help. This photo was taken today.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #433 on: February 27, 2020, 02:28:40 PM »
Finally things are beginning to happen in my garden, here are Narcissus 'Ice Follies and 'Tete a Tete' respectively. Vinca minor 'Illumination' is beginning to put on a show too.

John J

« Reply #434 on: February 28, 2020, 07:29:40 AM »
David, re the Chasmanthe we have your address so in the summer when the plants have died down and the corms dried out we could send you a batch to try out.