Morning walk

• 484 Replies

John J

Re: Morning walk
« Reply #375 on: October 26, 2019, 05:20:28 AM »
On another day we were taken by our good friends, Fleur and Nikos Pavlidis, to what I believe is the Vari area to see some ancient 'Herders' Graffiti'.
My photos of the writing didn't come out too well but below are a couple showing a ship and what is possibly a horse.
The cyclamen were well in evidence here too.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #376 on: October 26, 2019, 07:18:28 PM »
Not exactly morning walks but the morning view of our hotel in the Pelion area of Greece on last week's MGS post AGM tour.
The last photo is of the Paulownia tomentosa outside our room window taking on its autumn colours.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #377 on: October 27, 2019, 05:40:09 AM »
This trip did not involve a lot of walking but on the occasions we did there were cyclamen in abundance. On one walk along a beach, to view an old chapel that was near to a partially excavated ruin with a segment of mosaic floor, I found a small plant that I believe to be Cakile maritima.

John J

« Reply #378 on: October 27, 2019, 05:58:46 AM »
One of the highlights of the trip for me was the visit to this rather quirky garden created on an extremely steep slope going down to the sea. The planting palette was limited but for this situation it worked beautifully.
Views over the sea from the top of the garden.
Looking down the garden.
Looking back up from part of the way down.
Looking along a pathway.
A flock of sheep?
The summer bedroom.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #379 on: October 27, 2019, 08:17:08 AM »
Beautiful John, thank you for sharing with us. Wonderful example of going with the flow of the natural beauty of a place, adding a few personal touches but retaining a harmony with its surroundings.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #380 on: October 28, 2019, 09:57:32 AM »
As can be seen from the photos the rain has arrived at last. Apparently it was introduced by a severe storm while we were away in Greece. Obviously this is very welcome but it's playing havoc with our olive picking.

John J

« Reply #381 on: November 07, 2019, 07:09:02 AM »
Following the day of heavy rain at the end of October the daytime temperature has climbed back up to the high 20sC. Still some plants are beginning to come to life.
Thunbergia alata 'Arizona Dark red'.
Haemanthus albiflorus given to us earlier this year by friend and fellow MGS member Demetrios Michaelides, has begun to flower for the first time.
Wedelia trilobata is an excellent ground cover.
A variety of white Cosmos coupled with Salvia 'Mystic Spires'.
Correa backhouseana a reliable Australian.
Thunbergia grandiflora.
Salvia 'Dancing Dolls'.
Caliandra californica.
Cyclamen cyprium.

John J

« Reply #382 on: November 15, 2019, 09:09:13 AM »
No morning walk today 'cos I think it's raining. Not absolutely certain as it's been such a long time since I've seen any that it's something of a distant memory.  :-\

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #383 on: November 16, 2019, 08:36:25 AM »
We are suffering deluges most days at the moment so time to catch up on inside jobs is definitely the order of the day.😕
Good for the garden though suppose😊
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #384 on: November 22, 2019, 10:38:48 AM »
Still no significant rain but the cooler evenings and nights are encouraging some plants to burst into flower.

John J

« Reply #385 on: November 22, 2019, 10:43:10 AM »
....and a few more.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #386 on: November 23, 2019, 07:44:03 AM »
Some lovely photos there John, thank you for posting them as winter fast approaches and the majority of my flowering plants start to succumb to shorter days and lower temperatures. 

John J

« Reply #387 on: November 28, 2019, 07:52:17 PM »
Not a morning walk today but this afternoon we decided to take a break from the garden and go see what effect a couple of days of heavy rain showers may have had on the local countryside. We headed up onto the cliffs above Kourion, parked near the Ancient Stadium and walked to the Temple of Apollo Ylates. The first photo looks out over the bay towards the peninsular of Akrotiri.
The others are of some of the plants we found in flower.

John J

« Reply #388 on: December 08, 2019, 11:03:22 AM »
This morning we decided to check out the areas around the Akrotiri Salt Lake and the Akrotiri Marshes. It was cool and pleasant walking but not a lot was out. Bellis sylvestris were everywhere with the occasional Anemone coronaria dotted around.
The Lake had a reasonable amount of water that was already well populated by flamingos. The white line towards the top of the picture is a host of flamingos.
The last shot is the view from the South Bird Hide in the marshes looking towards the cliffs on the opposite side of the nearby bay. We could hear birds in the rushes but none prepared to show themselves.

John J

« Reply #389 on: December 19, 2019, 08:54:59 AM »
The morning walks have been curtailed recently for a variety of reasons, pressing commitments, RAIN - yes!
Today I took the opportunity to get a few photos of some of the plants that are taking advantage of the RAIN that has been falling lately to come into flower.