Morning walk

• 484 Replies

John J

Re: Morning walk
« Reply #345 on: May 13, 2019, 05:47:07 PM »
I wish, Hilary! We have to rely on memory which is, unfortunately, becoming less reliable with the advancing years! At a very rough estimate we must have between 2 and 3 hundred species of plants in the garden so trying to map them all would be a Herculean task, one that quite honestly I don't have the time for.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #346 on: May 14, 2019, 05:02:46 AM »
Yesterday I had an afternoon stroll in our daughter's garden.
Her Bauhinia variegata 'Candide' is much smaller than ours but just as floriferous.
Lycianthes rantonettii.
Her Cleronendrum bungei is ahead of ours.
She has a Justicia adhadota which we don't have.
Her yellow Banks' rose has recovered from a severe pruning we had to give it in the autumn as it was getting out of control.
When you're young, like mulberries and are your yiayia's granddaughter you don't need a ladder to pick them.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #347 on: May 17, 2019, 05:55:10 AM »
More of our epiphyllums have opened overnight. I won't name them as we are beginning to doubt the accuracy of some of the names given to us by the supplier of the cuttings and need to investigate further.

Hilary

« Reply #348 on: May 17, 2019, 07:36:42 AM »
I like the peach coloured one
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

John J

« Reply #349 on: May 17, 2019, 08:11:48 AM »
Hilary, that one was given to us as 'King Midas'. I have found photos of flowers online that are the same colour and labelled as 'King Midas', but I have also found others under that name that are more orange. Orange, or yellow, would seem to be more appropriate colours for Midas considering his association with gold, but who knows!
With regard to an earlier photo that I posted as 'Kathy Frost', I'm now more inclined to believe that it should be 'Orange Crush'.
Again regarding an earlier post when I said we probably had between 2 and 3 hundred species of plants, an inspection of my rudimentary card index system shows it to be closer to 400. Yes, I confess to being the kind of old-fashioned administrator who prefers written records to relying on the foibles of technology.

John J

« Reply #350 on: May 19, 2019, 06:26:19 AM »
Two more of our hybrids have opened this morning. We are fairly sure that the first is 'Ambrosia' but the identity of the second is still under debate.

John J

« Reply #351 on: May 19, 2019, 08:00:07 AM »
Our Hemerocallis fulva have been in flower for a while but this morning we noticed that the 'Wild Horses' had decided to gallop onto the scene too.

John J

« Reply #352 on: May 23, 2019, 06:31:12 AM »
We get up very early but this industrious little guy was obviously up even earlier.

John J

« Reply #353 on: May 29, 2019, 08:12:28 AM »
Last autumn David Dickinson in Rome sent my wife a whole batch of seeds. Some were in pots in the front of the house and this morning I walked out to be greeted by the very attractive flower pictured below. The amazing cobalt-blue of Convolvulus tricolor 'Royal Ensign'. Thank you, David.

John J

« Reply #354 on: July 09, 2019, 06:58:39 AM »
Despite the daily temperatures nudging 40 C our Bauhinia forficata insists on waiting until this time of year to flower.
The Wisteria has also decided to have a last fling.
Hibiscus tiliaceus come from wet, swampy areas apparently but ours survives with minimal water and has been flowering profusely for a couple of weeks with no sign of stopping soon.

John J

« Reply #355 on: August 02, 2019, 03:43:01 PM »
Our morning walks have been few and far between of late, due mainly to the heat and external pressures, but we realised that with the AGM fast approaching and the MGS excursion to Jordan looming on the horizon we needed to begin to up our fitness levels. The daytime temperature down here near the coast being in the high 30s we decided that the best option was to set off really early and head up the mountain in search of somewhere cooler. The Kaledonia Falls Nature Trail through mostly pine forest seemed as good a choice as any. So it proved with a temperature around 21/22C, the shade of the trees and the cooling sound of rushing water by our side.
The photos show the falls.
Quercus alnifolia (Cyprus Golden Oak) and Arbutus andrachne that make up the majority of the understorey in the pine forest.
Euphorbia veneris.
A rather sorry-looking plant that I believe is Centaurea aegialophila but I'm prepared to be corrected.
Clematis vitalba.

John J

« Reply #356 on: August 14, 2019, 08:50:34 AM »
Didn't need to walk far this morning to find this flower open on an Epiphyllum 'Ambrosia'.

John J

« Reply #357 on: August 15, 2019, 08:00:44 AM »
Our various water-lilies are beginning to come into their own, including a new miniature one. It's actually more orange-looking than it appears in the photo.

John J

« Reply #358 on: August 17, 2019, 12:17:32 PM »
This morning we decided to try to escape the worst of the heat by driving up the mountain and taking a look at the area of the Atalante Nature Trail in the pine woods. At this time of the year we didn't find much in flower but we did come across 2 little gems in the endemics Dianthus strictus ssp troodi and Saponaria cypria.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #359 on: August 18, 2019, 10:21:44 AM »
Your two lovely little morning walk plants made me realise for the first time that the soapworts are in the same plant family as the pinks!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society