Morning walk

• 484 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Re: Morning walk
« Reply #300 on: March 10, 2019, 07:13:21 AM »
Think you mean David in this case Alisdair.......but I add my thanks too!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #301 on: March 13, 2019, 10:37:43 AM »
I had another look around my garden yesterday morning (blustery weather so apologies for the poor focus of some of the photos). I discovered that my white variety of Vinca minor had, after what I had said in my previous post, decided to send up a flower! Others in flower were:

Clematis armandii
Crocus 'Firefly' (not as successful as I had hoped in giving the vase "hair" as it is all flower and no leaves at present)
Geranium  macrorrhizum Album
Ipheion peregrinans 'Rolf Fiedler'
Kerria japonica single (now that I have a dappled shade spot I have finally managed to grow this - see my earlier postings on thishttp://www.mgsforum.org/smf/index.php?topic=1575.msg10850#msg10850 )
Narcisus 'Bellsong'
Vinca minor ‘Atropurpurea’
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Charithea

« Reply #302 on: March 13, 2019, 02:45:23 PM »
How lovely to be greeted with all this beauty early in the morning.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

arj

« Reply #303 on: March 15, 2019, 04:35:20 PM »
These are so lovely, thanks for sharing the photos. I especially loved seeing the Vinca minor, I've not had a chance to see it in a while, it grew so well in the woods by our house when I was a child.
Just starting my first garden, looking forward to exploring and learning from others' experiences, and from my own mistakes.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #304 on: March 16, 2019, 07:31:07 AM »
How exciting to be starting your first garden - and in Majorca  - hope you find this Forum both interesting and useful. Look forward to hearing about your successes .....and failures ( that we all have!) Welcome and good luck.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #305 on: March 17, 2019, 10:30:14 PM »
Hello Arj, welcome to the forum and, as Umbrian says, you must be really excited this spring to be starting a new garden :)

Today, what was supposed to be Crocus 'Ruby Giant' gave me a bit of a surprise. There are also some flowers opening on what I am presuming is a Freesia sp. I never did find out what they are, exactly. Last year there were no flowers as the plants were cut back to ground level with the 'Beast from the East" This year I must check if there is a 3 pointed bract. ref my posting for help with identification here http://www.mgsforum.org/smf/index.php?topic=2303.0
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #306 on: March 21, 2019, 06:40:59 PM »
One of the first sights that greeted us on our return from leading a group on a long weekend in Athens.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #307 on: March 22, 2019, 07:11:56 AM »
Spring would appear to be on the way.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #308 on: March 22, 2019, 09:08:26 AM »
Lovely, John; what's the iris?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #309 on: March 23, 2019, 05:52:11 AM »
I'm not absolutely sure, Alisdair, but I think it's a variety of Iris x hollandica.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #310 on: March 23, 2019, 11:45:07 AM »
Very likely: thanks!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #311 on: March 29, 2019, 06:55:28 AM »
The unusual weather pattern continues with the rain returning overnight and appearing to be setting in for the day, not heavy but persistent.

John J

« Reply #312 on: March 30, 2019, 07:09:27 AM »
Unable to take any photos this morning as winter seems to have returned with a vengeance. The temperature has plummeted, heavy overnight rain has beaten down many of the delicate plants and the dark grey skies are threatening more of the same. This year the old saying about March coming in like a lion and going out like a lamb seems to have been turned completely on its head.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #313 on: April 01, 2019, 12:39:05 AM »
Hi John. Our night time temperatures have certainly fallen and it has been cold the last couple of nights (5°C last night according to the forecast). Days, though, are lovely. Here are a few photos. An Iris which I do not know the name of, a lovely brick-red Osteospermum, my first Eschscholzia californica flower and Daffodil 'Amazing Grace'. The Daffodil is new this year so it remains to be seen if it will survive the summer.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #314 on: April 01, 2019, 12:42:47 AM »
Forgot to ask, John, what is the flower in the 3rd photo of your 29/3 post in this thread?

Cheers