• 484 Replies

Hilary

Re: Morning walk
« Reply #255 on: September 24, 2018, 08:52:17 AM »
Just to remind you of the living wall in Madrid
It is now several years old and some plants appear to do better than others
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

John J

« Reply #256 on: October 03, 2018, 11:09:02 AM »
Not my morning walk today but the result of several years of morning walks taken by our friend Michalis. He has produced a card showing many of the plants that he has photographed over the years, with their names. Sadly my attempting to photograph his photos does not do them justice.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #257 on: October 05, 2018, 10:45:29 AM »
A mix of flowers and fruit today. The last one is bergamot.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #258 on: October 12, 2018, 06:55:17 AM »
David, the Hibiscus trionum is one of yours.

John J

« Reply #259 on: October 13, 2018, 06:01:51 AM »
Yesterday I posted a photo of the first (unopened) flower on our Dragon Fruit. This morning we discovered it had opened overnight. My hand is for comparison of size.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #260 on: October 13, 2018, 07:40:28 AM »
What a magnificent sight, John - so exotic!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #261 on: October 16, 2018, 06:19:04 AM »
Just a couple of quick photos today as I have to dash out to an early meeting.

John J

« Reply #262 on: October 31, 2018, 08:36:12 AM »
We have just returned from the highly enjoyable MGS AGM in the Costa Blanca, preceded by the equally enjoyable pre-tour in Mallorca, to a Cyprus where daytime temperatures are still in the 20s with no sign of rain in the offing.
My morning walk today was more a closer look at what had survived in our absence and what may need some extra TLC. We were also greeted by a letter in the mailbox from the local Water Board warning that a cessation of irrigation water was a possibility if the situation did not improve in the very near future. Back down to earth with a bump.
We have plenty of seeds from our Pancratium for next year.
The last photos show the 3 stages of mutation of the Hibiscus mutabilis flowers.

John J

« Reply #263 on: November 30, 2018, 09:15:06 AM »
No morning walk today because this happened.  :) Not prolonged, just short and sharp but no less welcome for that! It's freshened up the air, settled the dust and moistened the ground. Here's hoping there's more to come.  :D

John J

« Reply #264 on: December 01, 2018, 06:42:40 AM »
When we stepped outside this morning we had a pleasant surprise. Despite the rain that we had yesterday and overnight (yes I did say rain, at long last) Epiphyllum 'Kathy Frost' had flowered. Unfortunately the light or the camera or whatever drains some of the colour from the photo, it's actually a shade deeper than it appears.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #265 on: December 01, 2018, 08:30:01 AM »
So pleased you are getting some long awaited rain in Cyprus - I always find it amazing to see how things respond in the garden even after a small amount.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #266 on: December 01, 2018, 04:57:42 PM »
Today's morning walk was preceded by a fairly long drive to the far eastern end of the island. As the rain yesterday and overnight had softened the ground and made it more workable we decided to pay a visit to a young man we know who owns a cactus and succulent nursery over that way. We have been re-organising areas of our garden in an attempt to combat some of the effects of the increasing shortage of water available for irrigation. One project involves replacing plants at the side of the house that are suffering from the strong summer sunlight they are exposed to, from dawn until early afternoon, with more succulents that can take the heat and lack of water.
The first photos are from that nursery.
While we were in the area we also took the opportunity to check out a Cactus and Sculpture Park that we had heard about.
The second batch of photos are from there.
Hilary, the last photo is for you. This handsome chap reminded us of your post about Athena and her owl.

Hilary

« Reply #267 on: December 01, 2018, 06:17:54 PM »
My goodness what a park!
There are a couple of cactus there I wouldn't go near with the proverbial barge pole although a ll my friends had one  twenty odd year ago.

I love the owl
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Bernhard

• Email
« Reply #268 on: December 06, 2018, 06:19:28 PM »
Today being bright and sunny we ventured out for a short walk on the edge of the village. Not a lot of activity amongst the wild flowers, possibly due to the rains arriving very late this year. Below are a couple of photos that I took.
Anemone coronaria and Lycium ferocissimum, flower and fruit.
:) For this time of the year it really looks very nice.

John J

« Reply #269 on: December 07, 2018, 09:56:34 AM »
Welcome to the Forum, Bernhard. The photos you mention were taken 2 years ago after a spell of late rain. This year the rain has also arrived late with some quite heavy downpours over the last 2 or 3 days. Today has dawned bright and sunny so I was able to go out and assess the situation. Not many plants in flower, mainly the stronger ones or those that enjoy a bit of shelter from the incessant pounding. The Aeonium is beginning to unfurl its rosettes and the seeds of the Nandina add a bit of colour.