Morning walk

• 484 Replies

John J

Re: Morning walk
« Reply #225 on: June 29, 2018, 07:39:43 AM »
It does flower well, often right through July and into August, the hottest period of the year. Unfortunately I've never detected a scent. They don't appear to be overly popular, possibly because they are an untidy tree that needs to be frequently cleared of lots of little dead twigs. This can be a painful job as the twigs and branches are covered in small but nasty spikes. Probably another reason for its unpopularity, you don't want to brush against it. The photo shows what I mean.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #226 on: July 08, 2018, 10:26:05 AM »
Today's morning walk was a little out of the ordinary. The temperature has risen to heights that make it impossible to work in the garden, or even to walk around it in comfort, so we decided to head up the mountain to see if it was any cooler and also how the Troodos Botanical Garden was faring. It was 2 or 3 degrees cooler but any benefit was nullified by the attentions of the tiny biting midges that are prevalent in that area at certain times of the year. Anyway, we were pleasantly surprised to see that Andreas, the Forester in charge, had scattered some of the seeds we had given him on our last visit at the start of the year. Sunflowers, Evening Primroses, Nigella and Carthamus tinctorius were growing and either in flower or had already done so.
We had also left him some small plants and some of these were in evidence too. A Rolanda petasites, Cestrum nocturnum and various salvias. The photos are not great but they show an area where the salvias were planted, a Salvia interrupta and a Salvia 'Anthony Parker' (an offspring of one of yours, David). Being Sunday Andreas was off duty so we'll have to find an opportunity to go back again soon to see him.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #227 on: July 09, 2018, 06:54:29 AM »
Good work John and nice to see your plants being well cared for. A very brief storm the other day has  freshened the air here slightly but,  as with you,  work in the garden is difficult unless undertaken very early. Time to sit back a bit and enjoy the fruits of well chosen, climate adapted plants.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #228 on: July 15, 2018, 07:34:48 AM »
Tried working in the garden this morning early but was so hot and humid had to cease and desist. So took out camera and looked for subjects. Even that was not straightforward as perspiration was dripping onto camera screen. Nevertheless some plants are bravely combating the conditions and trying to put on a show.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #229 on: July 15, 2018, 07:59:50 AM »
What a collection you have, John!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #230 on: July 15, 2018, 10:42:02 AM »
If I am correct one of the flowers featured is Salvia 'Love and Wishes' ?
Mine are standing up to the high temperatures we are experiencing surprisingly well considering it is a 'soft' Salvia - not a woody based one with small leaves. Even one in more or less full sun is coping well but is not as big as those that get some relief. I should add they are all in pots and so do get water.......
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #231 on: July 15, 2018, 12:44:14 PM »
You are correct, Carole, it is Salvia 'Love and Wishes'. It's the one that Sonia bought for Charithea while we were in Italy in May. As you can see it has already recovered from being pruned back severely in order to fit into the hand luggage. It too is in a pot in partial shade at the front of the house, so it also gets water.

John J

« Reply #232 on: July 21, 2018, 08:20:57 AM »
Very hot, very dry, little water but still some plants manage to flower bravely on.

John J

« Reply #233 on: July 21, 2018, 08:25:43 AM »
A few of the fruits of our labours, although 2 very dry winters that provided little or no deep water has reduced the overall cropping of most trees considerably.

John J

« Reply #234 on: August 03, 2018, 10:17:19 AM »
David, I've been instructed to post the following photos of a couple of the plants that you gave to Thea in May, and have just flowered. Hibiscus trionum and Salvia 'Royal Bumble' (if I've got that right!). She also says to say Thank you.

John J

« Reply #235 on: August 14, 2018, 07:18:06 AM »
It's been a while since I took my camera into the garden while wandering around with my morning coffee, so I thought I'd take a few photos today of what was in flower. Once I started I was surprised at how many there were. I've chosen 10, as per the restrictions imposed by the Forum.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #236 on: August 14, 2018, 07:44:28 AM »
I love your morning walks, John; thanks for all those sights (and scents?).
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #237 on: August 15, 2018, 06:08:02 AM »
Hilary posted about Pancrateum maritimum and Drimia maritima on her Postage Stamps of the World thread. Our Pancrateum are well in flower now and the first Drimia has put up a flower spike.
Also, despite the intense heat and the fact that we have had no rain for over 6 months our Euphorbia dendroides has decided it's time to start putting on leaves.

John J

« Reply #238 on: August 27, 2018, 05:19:21 AM »
Not a morning walk but an evening one. Last night the Antiquities Department opened the site of the ruins of the ancient city of Kourion, situated on the clifftop overlooking the bay and facing the modern city of Limassol. This was to allow people to wander the ruins in the light of the full moon. They also had a singer accompanied by a keyboard player performing in the theatre to provide a little background music. Not being a great photographer below is the best of the shots I took which doesn't do justice to the scene.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #239 on: September 02, 2018, 09:35:30 AM »
Just seen your earlier posting John. Have been away from the forum for a while. The two plant names are correct. Remember the Hibiscus is an annual and you will need to collect seed if you want to see it again next year, Salvia "Royal Bumble" seems to be the easiest plant to grow in Rome. Hot summers, wet summers, cold winters, wet winters - nothing seems to stop it. Flowers for most of the year and cuttings take so easily.  That's my experience of it, anyway. Hope it survives for you.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.