Morning walk

• 217 Replies

John J

Re: Morning walk
« Reply #210 on: April 23, 2018, 04:53:13 PM »
Bit late posting this but it's been a busy day. 'J T Barber' decided to join the party this morning.
Correction, 'J T Barber' is still getting spruced up, this is 'Desert Moon' putting in a daytime appearance.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 06:45:39 AM by John J »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #211 on: April 24, 2018, 06:47:45 AM »
Another 'Desert Moon' being joined by, I believe, 'Elektra'.
I've done it again! I got the wrong lady, it isn't the ancient 'Elektra' but a more modern 'Kathy Frost'.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 03:45:20 PM by John J »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #212 on: April 24, 2018, 06:51:52 AM »
A few of our more delicate specimens.

John J

« Reply #213 on: May 06, 2018, 07:11:29 AM »
Life has been a little too busy of late for leisurely morning walks, however today we were a bit more relaxed and so I was able to take a few more photos than usual.

John J

« Reply #214 on: May 06, 2018, 07:15:41 AM »
And the rest.

Hilary

« Reply #215 on: May 06, 2018, 08:00:09 AM »
What a lot of flowers in your garden
As a matter of interest what are numbers
4 red
5 orange ?
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

John J

« Reply #216 on: May 06, 2018, 08:56:15 AM »
Hi Hilary, that's just a selection.
The red flower is what I insist on still calling Senecio confusus although I am told I must now get used to referring to it as Pseudogynoxys chenopodioides. The flowers open orange and then age to the red of the ones shown.
The orange flower is Carthamus tinctorius, (Safflower). It is, I believe, one of the oldest plants grown as a crop. It had several uses. It was used as a cheap substitute for saffron and was referred to as 'bastard saffron', if you'll pardon my language. The seeds were, and are, used to produce safflower seed oil. Textiles from ancient Egypt have been shown to have been coloured using a dye from the plant.

John J

« Reply #217 on: Today at 10:04:32 AM »
Not exactly a morning walk today, more of a morning stagger as we arrived back home from the MGS excursion to Italy in the very early hours of this morning. Arose a little later than usual, still half asleep, but was shocked into wakefulness by the sight that greeted us on opening the kitchen door. Our very first flower of Epiphylum 'Candy Crush'.
More about the trip once we have returned to what passes for normality.