Morning walk

• 484 Replies

John J

Re: Morning walk
« Reply #210 on: April 23, 2018, 04:53:13 PM »
Bit late posting this but it's been a busy day. 'J T Barber' decided to join the party this morning.
Correction, 'J T Barber' is still getting spruced up, this is 'Desert Moon' putting in a daytime appearance.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 06:45:39 AM by John J »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #211 on: April 24, 2018, 06:47:45 AM »
Another 'Desert Moon' being joined by, I believe, 'Elektra'.
I've done it again! I got the wrong lady, it isn't the ancient 'Elektra' but a more modern 'Kathy Frost'.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 03:45:20 PM by John J »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #212 on: April 24, 2018, 06:51:52 AM »
A few of our more delicate specimens.

John J

« Reply #213 on: May 06, 2018, 07:11:29 AM »
Life has been a little too busy of late for leisurely morning walks, however today we were a bit more relaxed and so I was able to take a few more photos than usual.

John J

« Reply #214 on: May 06, 2018, 07:15:41 AM »
And the rest.

Hilary

« Reply #215 on: May 06, 2018, 08:00:09 AM »
What a lot of flowers in your garden
As a matter of interest what are numbers
4 red
5 orange ?
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

John J

« Reply #216 on: May 06, 2018, 08:56:15 AM »
Hi Hilary, that's just a selection.
The red flower is what I insist on still calling Senecio confusus although I am told I must now get used to referring to it as Pseudogynoxys chenopodioides. The flowers open orange and then age to the red of the ones shown.
The orange flower is Carthamus tinctorius, (Safflower). It is, I believe, one of the oldest plants grown as a crop. It had several uses. It was used as a cheap substitute for saffron and was referred to as 'bastard saffron', if you'll pardon my language. The seeds were, and are, used to produce safflower seed oil. Textiles from ancient Egypt have been shown to have been coloured using a dye from the plant.

John J

« Reply #217 on: May 21, 2018, 10:04:32 AM »
Not exactly a morning walk today, more of a morning stagger as we arrived back home from the MGS excursion to Italy in the very early hours of this morning. Arose a little later than usual, still half asleep, but was shocked into wakefulness by the sight that greeted us on opening the kitchen door. Our very first flower of Epiphylum 'Candy Crush'.
More about the trip once we have returned to what passes for normality.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #218 on: May 22, 2018, 07:02:22 AM »
Good to see the flower of Carthamus tinctorus named after receiving seeds from you in Italy John.
The name was new to me and I Googled it but to see your 'photo is much better. Lovely unusual colour so I hope I can get some plants going - seeds not being my strong point!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #219 on: June 19, 2018, 02:00:28 PM »
On page 9 of this thread my wife posted a reply (#131) of me sorting out the irrigation on part of the area outside our main village church. She has now insisted that I post a couple of photos of how a small part of the plantings is progressing. The prostrate rosemary on the upper tier is beginning to tumble over and soften the edge, while the salvias in the lower tier are filling out and doing a similar job. She has been asked by several people in the village what the blue flowers are.

John J

« Reply #220 on: June 21, 2018, 07:42:35 AM »
Morning walks have been a bit rushed of late but today was slower paced with coffee in one hand and camera in the other.

John J

« Reply #221 on: June 28, 2018, 06:49:22 AM »
Have to be up and about early to catch the flowers of our Bauhinia forficata at their best as, unlike its relative B. variegata that flowers in spring, it waits until the hottest time of the year to bloom.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #222 on: June 28, 2018, 08:06:12 AM »
How quickly to those bauhinia flowers go over, John?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #223 on: June 28, 2018, 11:51:46 AM »
They open overnight, Alisdair, and with our tree getting the sun as it rises and with the heat we're experiencing at the moment, 30+degrees daily, they only last a few hours before withering. The photo shows one of the same flowers from this morning taken a few minutes ago when I saw your post, that is around 13.30 our time.
By the way ignore the timings shown above my posts, for some reason they are roughly 2 hours behind the actual time.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 11:55:13 AM by John J »

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #224 on: June 29, 2018, 06:51:49 AM »
What a shame that such beautiful flowers last such a short time. Looks as if there are plenty to come though.....are they scented?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.