Morning walk

• 484 Replies

John J

Re: Morning walk
« Reply #165 on: February 24, 2018, 09:10:33 AM »
Just a few random photos taken this morning, no particular theme in mind.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #166 on: March 04, 2018, 08:59:09 AM »
Today's morning walk provided a few photos, including one showing that it's apple blossom time.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #167 on: March 04, 2018, 09:17:50 AM »
Thanks for taking us on this gorgeous walk, John - I can almost smell that apple blossom!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #168 on: March 04, 2018, 10:23:01 AM »
I missed it on my early morning bimble but our tiny Coronilla valentina has flowered for the first time.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #169 on: March 05, 2018, 07:40:40 AM »
What a beautiful flower John and you have captured it perfectly. Such an intricate design and it reminds us to look more closely at times to really appreciate the wonderful diversity of flowers.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #170 on: March 08, 2018, 10:26:22 AM »
It's jasmine time and the scent is amazing, while our 3 different Angel's Trumpets open to greet the new day.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #171 on: March 09, 2018, 08:00:48 AM »
Wow, John! Weird coincidence, before I'd seen your posting I'd put an angel's trumpet as today's picture on the cover of the MGS Facebook page.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #172 on: March 10, 2018, 10:47:18 AM »
Possibly because of the shortage of rain this winter our Damask Roses have been late to open.

John J

« Reply #173 on: March 13, 2018, 08:06:47 AM »
I am not a great aficionado of cactus and succulents but I realised that I have been neglecting to feature some of the ones that we do have.

John J

« Reply #174 on: March 14, 2018, 09:14:18 AM »
This morning it was great to see the first Dietes flower of the year.

John J

« Reply #175 on: March 15, 2018, 10:33:11 AM »
On today's walk I was pleased to see the first of the wild Sword lilies (Gladiolus italicus) beginning to open in parts of our garden. These were once used to decorate Christ's tomb on Good Friday, perhaps due to the fact that they were believed by some to be one of the lilies of the field mentioned in the Gospels. I was less pleased, however, to see one flower being devoured by a caterpillar. Anyone recognise the culprit?

John J

« Reply #176 on: March 17, 2018, 09:35:10 AM »
I asked this same question on a Facebook group, Bulbs in Habitat, and so far the only comment I've received is that it is probably one of thousands of Hawk Moths.
A second comment a few days later suggested the Humming Bird Hawk Moth.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2018, 09:00:41 AM by John J »

John J

« Reply #177 on: March 18, 2018, 09:06:25 AM »
A little hazy and overcast today, whether due to cloud or dust in the atmosphere is unclear.

John J

« Reply #178 on: March 19, 2018, 08:04:40 AM »
This morning's walk concentrates on the Hibiscus flowers growing in our western boundary hedge.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #179 on: March 19, 2018, 08:41:54 AM »
Always sad John when visiting old haunts that have suffered from increasing urbanisation. I remember my disappointment as a child when the flood meadows on the edge of our town were drained and a large housing estate built. No more spring walks to admire the Lady's Smocks and Marsh Marigolds, particularly enjoyable for me sloshing about in wellington boots.....
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.