Morning walk

• 484 Replies

John J

Re: Morning walk
« Reply #150 on: November 14, 2017, 08:20:42 AM »
Just a few of the plants that were in flower on this morning's stroll.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #151 on: November 16, 2017, 08:27:10 AM »
Our Rosa moschata is beginning to make its grand entrance.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #152 on: November 17, 2017, 10:05:09 AM »
Although we have had virtually no rain so far this season, and certainly nothing like the catastrophic downpours that have caused such devastation in Greece, the narcissus are beginning to make their annual appearance. I never cease to be amazed by how such delicate plants can punch their way through the hardest of surfaces, even in areas frequented by vehicles belonging to 'hunters'.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #153 on: November 19, 2017, 07:17:03 PM »
A group of non-gardeners at Sparoza last week remained unimpressed by a drift of Narcissus serotinus in 'Derek's garden'. Weird people.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John J

« Reply #154 on: November 30, 2017, 08:56:35 AM »
A couple of the flowers that caught my eye as I went out to work in the garden this morning.
Also, on the Sparoza thread I mentioned a project that my wife is involved in. Along with a group of other villagers, she is helping to produce items to be used as prizes in a raffle in order to raise money to pay towards creating a garden on neglected land adjacent to the main village church. So, at the moment the seating area outside our kitchen door has been taken over as a workspace. I shudder to think what the meeting room at the church looks like with several people all working on different projects.

John J

« Reply #155 on: December 13, 2017, 09:47:37 AM »
Our two Brugmansia are beginning to put on a show. The Thunbergia alata and T. grandiflora are hanging in there too.

Charithea

« Reply #156 on: February 07, 2018, 11:15:26 AM »
I took a walk this morning with my 6 year old granddaughter to see the dam.  We took pictures of the surroundings and the river bed.  As you can see there is very little water running. It is February, supposedly the coldest and wettest  month of the year, but we have brilliant sunshine.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #157 on: February 08, 2018, 09:15:52 AM »
Deeply worrying!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #158 on: February 13, 2018, 12:03:57 PM »
In the dim and distant past a previous administration obviously thought it would be a good idea to erect a small fountain at the entrance to the village. I can't recall it ever working, or even being connected to a water supply. Anyway, the current administration put it on the list of items that required improving in some aspect. So, I planted it up with Ruschia pulvinaius a tough little plant that will survive a certain amount of abuse, including infrequent watering. In bloom it is covered in tiny, pink, daisy-like flowers. It is doing what I had hoped and cascading over the rim of the trough while adding a soft, green touch to what I consider to be a rather ugly introduction to the village.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 08:53:57 AM by John J »

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #159 on: February 14, 2018, 07:30:17 AM »
What a happy lion. I think it would cheer me up every time I walked past it. Thoughtful planting too.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #160 on: February 14, 2018, 08:52:31 AM »
What a lovely idea, John. How long ago did you plant it?
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #161 on: February 14, 2018, 09:07:44 AM »
I planted it up in March of last year, Alisdair.

John J

« Reply #162 on: February 14, 2018, 12:58:25 PM »
It seems that the current village administration is of the same opinion as myself regarding the lion fountain. As we were driving out of the village around lunchtime we saw the foreman of the maintenance workers and he was scoping out a new, less prominent location to move Fleur's happy lion to. Possibly end up outside one of the village's lesser churches.

John J

« Reply #163 on: February 15, 2018, 11:37:59 AM »
Not a great photo but perhaps gives some idea of the Ruschia in flower.

John J

« Reply #164 on: February 16, 2018, 10:27:53 AM »
Yellow - the colour of Spring.