Morning walk

• 484 Replies

John J

Re: Morning walk
« Reply #120 on: June 01, 2017, 07:42:19 AM »
Back to a more conventional morning walk today, coffee in one hand, camera in the other. 8)
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #121 on: June 01, 2017, 07:54:01 AM »
John, Helena looking over my shoulder says it's crazy we didn't visit your lovely garden when the MGS had its AGM on Cyprus!!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #122 on: June 01, 2017, 04:07:22 PM »
Alisdair and Helena, thanks for the compliment both. As the organizer of the 2009 AGM in Cyprus I didn't feel that our garden was of a sufficiently high standard to be included on the itinerary, apart from the fact that it would have been difficult to fit it into any of the routes taken to other venues. I feel that our garden is rather unconventional compared to what others expect when they visit it. It doesn't fit into any particular type or style, it isn't all tidy with neatly laid out paths and beds of disciplined plants, all colour matched. We experiment with plants and their growing conditions, a lot of things are self sown and as long as they are reasonably behaved they are allowed to remain in situ. Any sign of bullying or taking up more than their fair share of space and they're evicted.
I do apologise for not having invited anyone around on one of the free evenings, however, and can only plead that it was driven out of my head by having to ensure that the following day's programme was in place and all ready to go.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #123 on: June 02, 2017, 02:35:20 AM »
Sounds just like the garden I would pay through the nose to visit! :)

As an aside, as I wrote the above I thought to myself "paying through the nose" must have origins in snobbery and "looking down your nose" etc. Therefore, paying a high price because cost was of no consideration. According to the Telegraph I was wrong. They say ""paying through the nose" was a Viking punishment of slitting the nose from tip to eyebrow of anyone who refused to pay tax".
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #124 on: June 02, 2017, 04:40:55 PM »
David, if you're ever in Cyprus you are welcome to visit free of charge.

John J

« Reply #125 on: June 04, 2017, 07:38:43 AM »
A few photos from this morning's walk.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #126 on: June 05, 2017, 08:18:47 PM »
One Joynes does the planting and the other takes the photos?
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John J

« Reply #127 on: June 06, 2017, 03:50:57 PM »
Just what are you implying, Kyria Pavlidi?

Charithea

« Reply #128 on: June 07, 2017, 02:10:32 PM »
I don't want a war to start so here are some photos where JJ is actually planting. The two Yannides (Yiannos Orphanos and John J) working on the Ayios Antreas  church garden project. We have enlisted the help of the people living near the area as 'garden vigilantes'. So far so good. The pants are thriving.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Charithea

« Reply #129 on: June 07, 2017, 02:44:02 PM »
You might recall the photos posted on the 7th Feb showing the horrible sight of the Kouris River Bed. It was discovered that it was not our village's responsibility.It comes under the jurisdiction of the three neighbouring villages.  However, the New Environmental Committee  decided to take action and had the burnable stuff burnt on the Easter Bonfire.  Now discussions are taking place with the ' responsible' villages to clear up the rest. I hope sometime soon to post a photo of a cleaned up river bed.

John J

« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2017, 08:02:07 AM »
A few photos from this morning's walk around the garden, before I got down to planting a couple of Sideritis cypria we found in the Forestry Department nursery at Platania yesterday. We had called in to investigate the possibility of the Forestry Department assisting the village in our renovation of its environs by providing plants either at a discounted rate or, preferably, free of charge. Will post the outcome at a later date.

Charithea

« Reply #131 on: June 21, 2017, 09:26:33 AM »
Walking around the village is getting more pleasant with the re- planting and the cleaning of its surrounds. Watering the newly 'planted' (March - April) areas is also becoming easier with the placing of drip irrigation.  Before this it was a matter of going round with buckets every few days to keep the plants from dying. I am posting some photos to show the progress.

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #132 on: June 21, 2017, 10:31:07 PM »
I understand John was on his knees in the churchyard on Sunday. If he was seeking help from the old Greek gods then here are a few who might assist:
Demeter: Goddess of agriculture, fertility, sacred law and the harvest.
Attis: A minor god of vegetation, fruits of the earth and rebirth.
Antheia: Goddess of gardens, flowers, swamps, and marshes.

From  https://greekgodsandgoddesses.net/
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

John J

« Reply #133 on: July 02, 2017, 07:33:31 AM »
The temperature here has rocketed into the low 40 degrees C over the past week making working, and even walking, in the garden very uncomfortable. This morning I did get a couple of shots early before the sun burnt off the flowers. One is of the Rosa moschata and the other Oenothera biennis reflecting the rising sun.

John J

« Reply #134 on: July 03, 2017, 06:16:20 AM »
A Commelina doing its best to match the colour of the morning sky.