Morning walk

• 484 Replies

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Morning walk
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2017, 09:42:41 PM »
You should have had JTh's husband with you. He'd have put your snake in a plastic box!
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

JTh

• Email
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2017, 10:50:01 AM »
John and Fleur, a small correction: he catches snakes only if they are inside our house, for instance in our bedroom.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

John J

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2017, 03:13:23 PM »
Not a morning walk but an afternoon walk with a set purpose. To get photographic evidence to support my wife when she takes part in the village environmental committee's meeting this evening.
The Kouris was a seasonal river that ran through Kolossi until it was dammed in the 1980s. The first 2 photos are from the 1960s when it could be quite powerful in spate. In fact in the winter of 1967 it washed away the Queen's Bridge in the British Sovereign Base Area and the Royal Engineers had to construct a Bailey bridge until the river went down in the summer and it could be repaired. However, following the building of the dam the water ceased to flow and the remaining photos show how the river bed looks today.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

JTh

• Email
« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2017, 03:31:02 PM »
Not much of an improvement,at least not from an aesthetic point of veiew.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Charithea

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2017, 11:46:12 AM »
Hi Jorun. It does look sad that the 'mighty' Kouris of my childhood,  which really looked amazing after the spring snow melt, is now a dumping ground for 'uncaring' individuals. The riverbed has been cleaned many times but unfortunately the dumping has not stopped. The last 5 years my concerns have been unheeded but now with the new village council leader, a much younger man, there is hope for change.  I was invited by the committee to speak at last evening's gathering regarding setting up groups for the improvement of the village. I have been informed that my impassioned speech has gathered the most volunteers. I now have to organize them and I shall post our 'news' as they come along.
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2017, 05:30:55 PM »
Great, Charitea, I hope you succeed.

John J

« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2017, 11:31:00 AM »
Test
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2017, 12:53:36 AM »
I see that a "test" message has been sent. There does seem to be a problem here because I wrote a message of support to Charithea which isn't showing up.

Hope everything went well, Charithea. Great work you are doing!
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2017, 05:59:38 AM »
I sent the test message as I was unable to access the forum for a few days and then when it returned I couldn't post photos, and still cannot post photos.

Hilary

« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2017, 08:25:45 AM »
hereistay seems to have got the thing to work.
I wonder if it is the time of day or the size of the photos.
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Photo problem
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2017, 10:14:09 AM »
As some of you will have noticed the site went offline altogether over the weekend. Our administrator had to put a lot of work into getting it back in action, but succeeded. However, as John has found there is a problem with photos. I've been experimenting myself, and it seems that Hilary is right - the problem is to do with size. I managed to post any photo successfully so long as the file was under 130kb in size (including multiple photos, so long as each individually was under that size), but failed with any photo over that size.
I have alerted the administrator to this, but in the meantime if you do want to post photos please try to keep them to the very smallest file size you can manage, and definitely under 130kb. If you try but get an error message, try again deleting the first attempt and using a smaller file size.
I'm very sorry about the difficulties, and hope we can sort them out as soon as possible.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Joanna Savage

« Reply #71 on: February 21, 2017, 11:00:55 AM »
Testing with Hermodactylus  tuberosus photo, flowering this morning.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Photo problem solved
« Reply #72 on: February 21, 2017, 11:34:14 AM »
The administrator says the site should now be accepting photos properly again. I've tested it with photos right up to the usual 250kb limit and it worked perfectly for me, so I hope it does for you.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #73 on: February 21, 2017, 12:26:30 PM »
Here goes with the photos I tried several times to post. They were taken on a cold, clear, sharp morning. The Loropetalum chinense is in full bloom and the Arbutus andrachne is showing why it is in the Ericaceae family with its heather-like flowers.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #74 on: February 21, 2017, 01:48:23 PM »
Thanks for persevering, John; they're lovely pictures!
Alisdair Aird