Morning walk

• 484 Replies

John J

Re: Morning walk
« Reply #240 on: September 07, 2018, 07:49:47 AM »
Our long, hot summer continues unabated but several of our plants are keeping up appearances.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #241 on: September 07, 2018, 07:53:31 AM »
In fact so many that I have had to do a second posting.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #242 on: September 07, 2018, 10:54:08 AM »
Pleased to see you have some good yellow and orange specimens John - do you sneak those in when Charithea is not looking!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #243 on: September 07, 2018, 11:18:17 AM »
Actually, Carole, I do find the Senna and the Tecoma bright and cheerful. The orange annuals are from seeds that Charithea scattered herself so I take no responsibility for them!

John J

« Reply #244 on: September 10, 2018, 06:43:43 AM »
Days are still very hot but nights are beginning to cool making the early mornings a pleasant time to be out and about.

John J

« Reply #245 on: September 14, 2018, 08:11:39 AM »
Not exactly a planting combination I would have chosen but Mother Nature seems to have thought differently. They can stay for now until we get around to sorting out that area.

John J

« Reply #246 on: September 14, 2018, 08:15:14 AM »
Back in the days of steam radio there was a song entitled 'Lonely little Petunia in an onion patch'. Well we have our own version, lonely little salvia in a tulbaghia patch.

John J

« Reply #247 on: September 19, 2018, 06:37:53 AM »
A salvia day.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #248 on: September 19, 2018, 06:52:46 AM »
What is the name of the Salvia in the first 'photo John-? A beautiful colour.
I find Salvias very rewarding but the sheer number on offer these days quite challenging!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #249 on: September 19, 2018, 08:20:33 AM »
It's Salvia splendens 'Martinus Borg'. I agree that the number of salvias on offer now is totally overwhelming.

Charithea

« Reply #250 on: September 19, 2018, 08:35:53 AM »
Carole, I saw this most beautiful Salvia 'Martinus Borg' in La Mortella in Ischia. Alessandra Vinciguerra gave me some cuttings but they didn't travel well. The one in the photo I got through David Dickinson from Le essence di Lea this Spring.  He is a 'hero' of mine just like our Yiannos Orphanos with their helpful nature. I am hoping that this speciment will grow into a big one.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2018, 09:59:25 AM by Alisdair »
I garden in Cyprus, in a flat old farming field, alt. approx. 30 m asl.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #251 on: September 20, 2018, 07:43:34 AM »
David gave me a lot of salvia varieties when we met at the Lucca flower show recently. His willingness to share is amazing and a trait, that for me, marks out true gardeners who seem to have this desire to share both their knowledge and plants with fellow enthusiasts. Membership of the MGS has brought me quite a few contacts such as this - including of course you and John.

John J

« Reply #252 on: September 23, 2018, 12:48:02 PM »
For our morning walk today we drove to Paphos for a stroll around the old town. We were looking specifically for the 'living wall' that we heard had been created near to the Municipal Market. I have to confess to being undecided regarding an opinion of it.
I was perhaps more impressed by a couple of other walls that we came across in the same area. One had a beautiful graffiti mural and the explanation of the other is on the attached sign. My excuse for including them is that they do have a horticultural link through the amazing roses depicted on one and the stylised crocheted plant on the other!  8)

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #253 on: September 24, 2018, 06:00:56 AM »
Like it or not John, the luxuriant growth on the living wall is quite amazing......I wonder how it is sustained......?

John J

« Reply #254 on: September 24, 2018, 08:09:06 AM »
Carole, if you look at photo 3 you can see that the plants are all in individual pots in rows. Then on photo 1, not so obvious but down the wall on the far right is a black pipe coming from the roof. From this pipe irrigation lines go along each row of pots.