Morning walk

• 484 Replies

John J

Re: Morning walk
« Reply #180 on: March 21, 2018, 08:13:47 AM »
I'd love to be sloshing about in wellies, Carole, but with daytime temps already climbing into the mid-20s C everyone is looking out their shorts and T shirts here. The weather pattern has gone crazy. 
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

Hilary

« Reply #181 on: March 21, 2018, 08:16:46 AM »
We were lucky enough to be taken for  drive  to an olive grove in the foothills of Taygetus near Polovitsa, last weekend.
Here are a few photos of some of the wild flowers we saw
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

John J

« Reply #182 on: March 27, 2018, 11:04:59 AM »
A few days ago I posted some photos of hibiscus flowers. Today our Hibiscus rosa-sinensis 'Cooperi' decided to join in.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

John J

« Reply #183 on: March 27, 2018, 11:09:49 AM »
Californian poppies are obviously not native to Cyprus but they have become a common sight in some areas of the island, especially in parts of the Troodos Range. The ones in our garden are beginning to appear.

John J

« Reply #184 on: April 01, 2018, 09:08:07 AM »
Following a rare, but badly needed and decidedly welcome, splash of rain the air and ground this morning had a much fresher feel. The plants also seemed to appreciate it, so I extended the time taken in my regular morning walk (it turned into a two cups job!) in order to take more photos of the flowers that were in evidence. Then I had the idea that maybe some forumers might like to have a bit of fun identifying them. So, here goes with the first batch...

John J

« Reply #185 on: April 01, 2018, 09:12:54 AM »
OK, having eased you into it gently perhaps something a touch harder?

John J

« Reply #186 on: April 01, 2018, 09:17:33 AM »
Don't relax yet, perhaps a little harder still?

John J

« Reply #187 on: April 01, 2018, 09:20:27 AM »
And just a few more to finish off with!

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
« Reply #188 on: April 01, 2018, 09:50:41 AM »
What an amazing array of plants you grow, John!
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

John J

« Reply #189 on: April 01, 2018, 11:44:25 AM »
That's just a fraction of the whole, Alisdair. We have a local friend who is a retired schoolteacher and now devotes his time to finding and photographing plants, especially Cyprus native ones. He calls round to our house from time to time to see what's in flower for him to photograph. He called in last Wednesday while we had a group from the Limassol U3A here with 2 visiting members from Slovenia (that's another story) and he told them that Thea should make a mosaic sign for outside our gate saying; 'Botanical Garden'. A bit 'over the top' but a nice compliment all the same.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #190 on: April 02, 2018, 10:32:19 AM »
Gosh John where do you find the time and energy to accomplish all you do?
Enjoyed the challenge but fell woefully short - some are new to me but also the members starts to let me down!
Anyway to show my appreciation of your efforts both in the garden and on the Forum here are my conclusions
1.    Poppy
2.    Nasturtiums.  ( love the 2nd)
3.    Thungbergia
4.    Hibiscus
5.    Phlomis
6.    Lavender stoechs
7.    Coronilla
8.    Iris germanica
9.    -
10.  Gerbera
11.  Salvia?
12.  -
13.  -
14.  Passion Flower
15.  - ? Should know but....
16.  Pelargonium
17.  Solanum jasminoides
18.  Euryops????
19.  -
20.  -
21.  Salvia viridis
22.  Echium candidens
23.  -
24.  White Daisy! But Erigeron  karvinskianus in background.....bonus point?!
25.  Nigella
26.  -
27.  -
28. Durantia " Geisha Girl"?
29.  -
30.  Eucryphia?
31.  Teucrium fruticans
32.  Convolvulus cneorum
33.  Strelitzia
34.  -

Whew - off to do some gardening now.

MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

John J

« Reply #191 on: April 02, 2018, 11:56:06 AM »
Well done, Carole, brave effort. Taking them one section at a time, the first is:
Poppy (Papaver rhoeas)
Nasturtiums x 2
You missed the orange flower with the recurved petals.
Thunbergia alata
Hibiscus rosa-sinensis
Phlomis lunariifolia

Lavender yes but Lavendula dentata the leaves don't show.
Coronilla valentina
Iris germanica

John J

« Reply #192 on: April 02, 2018, 12:04:27 PM »
A few missing from the second batch.
Gerbera yes
Salvia yes, but which one?
Passion flower, I don't know the species.
Pelagonium graveolens
Yes to the solanum but I think we are supposed to call it S. laxum these days.
Not Euryops

John J

« Reply #193 on: April 02, 2018, 12:15:11 PM »
To finish up.
Salvia but not viridis
Echium yes
The white daisy is Erigeron karvinskianus well spotted.
Nigella yes
The Duranta erecta is a variety called 'Sweet Memories'.
Teucrium, Convolvulus and Strelitzia all yes.

John J

« Reply #194 on: April 02, 2018, 03:43:07 PM »
Carole, I realise I owe you an apology regarding the Salvia viridis as there is some argument about whether or not it is the same plant as Salvia horminum which is the name I know it by. The one we have is a variety known as 'Pink Sunday'. Even this tends to be rendered as 'Pink Sundae' by some. As there is also a variety known as 'Blue Monday' I would lean towards the day rather than the dessert. These plant names can be a minefield. :-\