Seed exchange

• 2 Replies

JTh

• Email
Seed exchange
« on: August 24, 2011, 03:12:45 PM »
Chantal, how do you want to get seeds for the MGS seed exchange, should I send them to you or would you like to get them at the AGM in Mallorca? Do you only  take seeds collected in the mediterranean regions? I see that you  have some seeds of Paeonia suffruticosa on your list, would P. rockii be of any interest? I have two trees in my garden in Oslo, and the seed pods look very promising, I believe I'll get a good harvest of seeds when they are ripe. They are hardy here in Oslo, but I  see that they are grown in the Mediterranean as well. They have large, white flowers with dark purple blotches at the base of the petals, the scent is heavenly.
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Alisdair

• Global Moderator
Re: Seed exchange
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 04:54:10 PM »
I hope the seed exchange will range widely enough to include P. rockii, which is beyond price!
In the RHS lily group, our seed exchange ranges far beyond lilium and even liliaceae, and is the main reason most people join and belong to the group. The way Chantal is building up the MGS seed exchange convinces me that this is going to be a major draw with the MGS too.
Alisdair Aird
Gardens in SE England (Sussex); also coastal Southern Greece, and (in a very small way) South West France; MGS member (and former president); vice chairman RHS Lily Group, past chairman Cyclamen Society

Chantal

Re: Seed exchange
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 08:16:42 AM »
Yes, Alisdair, you are entirely right. There are many reasons why I don't keep stuck to the mediterranean species.
The very first one is that if one takes the time to collect, clean, pack and send seeds to me, it is worth while distributing those seeds. I know it is time consuming to do so.
Other reasons are : biodiversity, rarity of the plant, beauty of the plant ............
And the last one is a kind of advertising. The more we have, in terms of diversity, in our seed list, the more people we attract. Some time, when a plantaholic looks for a species on google, and find it on the MGS seed list, he can be enough interested to subscribe to our society in order to get the coveted seeds.
For Paeonia rockii, I say YES definitively ! It can wait till our AGM in Mallorca.
If you can, put them in a standard paper envelope and don't forget to write on it your name (because I meet so many people during AGMs, that I can make omissions) the genus and species plant's name, date and place of collection.
Thank you Jorun
Chantal Guiraud
Montpellier-France
MGS Seed Coordinator

"The flowers of spring are winter's dreams told in the morning at the table of the angels" (Khalil Gibran)