Duranta

• 20 Replies

John

Re: Duranta
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2011, 08:49:33 AM »
Here's a picture of a Duranta in a fairly informal hedge at the Rothschild Memorial Garden. With it's orange fruits. I had assumed that the yellow colouring of the leaves was due to a deficiency as the plant does look rather sick. If, as is quite possible this a yellow leaf clone then I don't think it's particularly attractive and would probably look even worse when in flower! Any observations please?
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

ezeiza

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2011, 02:41:00 PM »
A totally yellow cv is for sale here and the people simply adores it. It is weaker than the ordinary form. The plants sold are rooted cuttings and in a season grow into a well sized shrub. You can imagine the picture as people plant it mixed with pansies and Alyssum asuming it is another midget.

John

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2011, 03:59:02 PM »
Just thinking of the above with pansies and Allysum seems quite horrendous!
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2011, 05:45:25 PM »
This is the cultivar i mentioned earlier known as 'Cuban Gold'.
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

ezeiza

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2011, 07:27:24 PM »
That is why I mentioned that people love those combinations! This acid yellow leaved cv is horrendous itself no need for complements.

John J

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2015, 06:28:57 AM »
Our 2 Duranta bushes are coming into flower. The first one is actually light blue, the bright sunlight making it look paler than it really is. The second is 'Sweet Memories' which is I believe also known as 'Geisha Girl', not sure which is the most appealing name.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)