Duranta

• 20 Replies

Umbrian

• Email
Duranta
« on: August 23, 2011, 04:14:24 PM »
I bought this plant a couple of months ago from a stall on our local market, as usual no label ! It was quite small and the terminal flowering spikes were nearly spent but I was attracted by the form and colour. I put it in a larger pot and placed it in a semi shaded position (morning sunshine only) It grew well with beautiful light green leaves in abundance and then surprised me with some new flowers, a deep violet with wavy, white edges. Hope this is sufficient information because I have a feeling the photo is not too good!
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • http://www.greentours.co.uk/Leader/Oron-Peri/
    • Email
Re: Name please.
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 04:42:11 PM »
Carole, it is Duranta erecta 'Geisha Girl',
A tall, weeping habit shrub up to 3m. it blooms all summer with these wonderful, large, cascading  purple/blue colored flowers.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 05:08:17 PM by oron peri »
Garden Designer, Bulb man, Botanical tours guide.
Living and gardening in Tivon, Lower Galilee region, North Israel.
Min temp 5c Max 42c, around 450mm rain.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2011, 05:13:50 PM »
By the way, this cultivar is one of a few new,  modern cultivars which are a great addition to the Med. garden.
I also recomend Duranta erecta  'Gold Edge' and D. e.  'Cuban Gold'.

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 08:01:18 PM »
It does have thorns, though, right?
I seem to remember seeing some of the gold one in a nursery, en masse, and running my hand along the top of it, found the thorns...
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 08:22:39 PM »
Mike this cultivar is thornless as far as i remember. while some  cultivars  infact do have nusty thorns.
Any way 'i'll check it for you tomorrow.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 08:32:18 PM by oron peri »

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 09:05:19 PM »
Thanks for that clarification, Oron; good to know.
Mike
Geologist by Uni training, IT consultant, Referee for Viola for Botanical Society of the British Isles, commissioned author and photographer on Viola for RHS (Enc. of Perennials, The Garden, The Plantsman).
I garden near Polis, Cyprus, 100m alt., on marl, but have gardened mainly in S.England

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 06:49:22 AM »
Thanks Oron, will I have to give it protection in the winter? what kind of temperatures can it withstand?
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 02:38:21 PM »
Mike, i have checked this plant today, as i thoght, this cultivar is thornless.
Carole, it isnt hardy, it might stand a few days of cold weather but not snow or frost for a long period,
If you live in the Umbrian hills i think it would be better to grow it in a big container and than move it to a protected area, a 'Limonaia' would be perfect....
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 02:45:23 PM by oron peri »

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 04:26:43 PM »
If only Oron! but I have places to keep things that need protection and will endeavour to keep this because I rather like it.  :) Thanks

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 09:52:56 AM »
Oron or Mike
Any advice about where these cultivars are available, in particular by mail order? We only have
Duranta repens in Greece, and that rarely. It gets burnt off by one night of frost but comes back from the root.
By the way i've always wondered why D repens is named thus since it is very upright and now you describe D erecta as weeping. Very confusing.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

MikeHardman

• www.mikehardman.com
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 10:03:15 AM »
Fleur - sorry - I don't know; I would have to consult Alasdair's nurseries list
Mike

John J

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 11:07:14 AM »
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Duranta repens and D erecta the same plant?
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

oron peri

• Global Moderator
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 11:40:41 AM »
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Duranta repens and D erecta the same plant?

Duranta repens is a synonym for Duranta erecta
By the way i've always wondered why D repens is named thus since it is very upright and now you describe D erecta as weeping. Very confusing.

The  cultivar 'Geisha Girl' has weeping habit, other cultivars have more upright growth.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 11:44:09 AM by oron peri »

ezeiza

Re: Duranta
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 04:11:14 PM »
Be very careful if there are children around for the attractive pale orange fruits are very poisonous. In small doses it causes somnolence and a coma and it is usually impossible to find the cause (which can be fatal) unless one is present when the child eats the fruits. The plant is very widely grown but practically no one knows about this.

John

Re: Duranta
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 10:50:58 PM »
I have come across several cultivars that have been on sale in London over many years. I even used them to plant up a conservatory in Norwich where they did very well and flowered well too.
John
Horticulturist, photographer, author, garden designer and plant breeder; MGS member and RHS committee member. I garden at home in SW London and also at work in South London.