Chrysanthemum

• 4 Replies

Hilary

Chrysanthemum
« on: December 09, 2015, 12:20:22 PM »
Someone started cultivating an empty plot of land near here  two or three years ago.
 In the summer he grew green beans, aubergines, zucchini, sweet corn, tomatoes and I don't know what else.
At the end of November there was one lonely pumpkin and this row of yellow and white Chrysanthemum left.
The shops are full of Chrysanthemum in pots but they never last more than one season.
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Hilary

Re: Chrysanthemum
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 07:40:31 AM »
Chrysanthemum, November
John says he read that Chrysanthemums are the flower for November. Here, in Greece, all the flower shops have a display of Chrysanthemums for sale. I used to treat myself to a pot but the plant never outlasted the flowers.
Here I have a selection of photos of these temporary Chrysanthemum plants which I have seen recently
The first in a pot at a rest stop outside Tripolis, Peloponnese. The plants in this pot at the door seem to be changed with the season.
The next four are in flower beds outside the Town Hall of Konitsa, Epirus.
A photo of mauve Chrysanthemum in the flower border of the church at Tsepelovo, this one probably comes up each year.
The last photo is of a bunch of Chrysanthemum from my friend Despoina’s garden. These come up year after year. She took cuttings from other friends’ gardens.
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 08:02:27 AM »
Large pots of unnatural looking Chrysanthemums- short stems and a plethora of flowers, are very popular in Italy in the autumn. I was given a pot last year and planted them in the garden when the display was over. The plant survived our very hot summer with little attention and grew quite tall but with weak stems. It has now produced some flowers.
I must remember to give it a some support next year. Chrysanthemums were a favourite flower featuring in most gardens when I was a child, mainly grown for cutting for the house. The very distinctive and rather pungent smell, can hardly call it scent!, transports me back to those days.
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.

JTh

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 04:37:41 PM »
Something like this?

_A069480.jpg
by Jorun Tharaldsen, on Flickr

_A200147.jpg Chrysanthemum
by Jorun Tharaldsen, on Flickr
Retired veterinary surgeon by training with a PhD in parasitology,  but worked as a virologist since 1992.
Member of the MGS  since 2004. Gardening in Oslo and to a limited extent in Halkidiki, Greece.

Umbrian

• Email
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 08:29:25 AM »
Exactly Thorun - cannot say I find them very attractive at all although some of the colours are lovely. I saw some very sad specimens in our local supermarket yesterday - forced into cellophane covers and neglected over a considerable length of time I would imagine  - the leaves turning yellow and many of the flower heads drooping - mass production at its worst😕
MGS member living and gardening in Umbria, Italy for past 19 years. Recently moved from my original house and now planning and planting a new small garden.