How to resize photos for the Forum

• 4 Replies

Hedgehog44

• Email
How to resize photos for the Forum
« on: December 03, 2015, 09:08:23 AM »
The files size is limited to 250KB and all my photos are more than that. How can I reduce them to send in for the identification section of the Forum?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 03:13:12 PM by Fleur Pavlidis »
Andrew Mayo
Plant Enthusiast

JayB

Re: Sending photos for identification
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 10:13:18 AM »
Hi Andrew,

What I  do is to resize the pictures in 'Paint' first and normally that will work.
Just open the picture you want and right click on the picture, it should open a menu that has the option 'open with' and normally 'Paint' is one of the options.

The picture then opens in Paint and there is an option to resize the picture and I usually choose around 30% of the original size and save the new resized picture.
Also it helps if the picture is saved as a jpeg.

For me this is the easiest way to do it on a PC although any software you have that can resize it will do the trick.
If you have an Apple then I'm not sure what the process would be but it's probably similar.

Hope that helps a bit. :)
G'day from an Aussie in Spain. Currently attempting a total garden overhaul.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 10:18:41 AM »
Hi Hedgehog44,

I open my picture in "paint", go to "resize", select "percent" and type "30" into the "Horizontal" box. The vertical box automatically adjusts to 30. I save the photo under a new name (I usually just add an "a" to the original name) and then right click with the mouse and select "properties". You can see the file size there. If it is still a little too big, follow the same procedure again but reduce it to something like 90% this time until you get a file which is the right size.

Other people may have better solutions.

If you are using Windows 10 open your picture, right click on it and you will get a menu that includes "open with". Click on that and "paint" should be one of your options. I was using Windows 7 until last week and there when you open up a picture there will be a bar across the top of your screen which should have as its kast option "open", Click on that and "paint" will be an option.

Think I've got the instructions right but I am a bit of a Luddite!
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 10:20:37 AM »
Hi JayB,

Snap!  :D
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

Hedgehog44

• Email
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 10:39:33 AM »
Thank you both - most helpful!
Andrew Mayo
Plant Enthusiast