A post-prandial stroll.

• 4 Replies

John J

A post-prandial stroll.
« on: December 01, 2015, 02:50:52 PM »
The following photos were taken today on the above mentioned stroll by the sea near Kourion, Cyprus.
The last one shows the site of someone's dumping of garden refuse sometime in the past, the not too recent past judging by the fact that the agave has had time to establish and flower. They, along with the opuntias, have claimed their own little niche amongst the native vegetation.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
Re: A post-prandial stroll.
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2015, 02:06:00 AM »
Hi John,

What is the plant in the 4th pic? Looks like it could be useful for growing on the surface of a pot holding some drought tolerant climber or shrub. Something prostrate to cover the soil and hang over the edge of the pot but not distracting from the main event, so to speak.
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2015, 06:29:42 PM »
David, I believe it to be Echium angustifolium but I'm prepared to be corrected. It was growing in a very pebbly, stony seashore, as evidenced by the other photos.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

David Dickinson

• Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 01:28:26 AM »
Thanks John. Looking it up on the internet, it doesn't seem half as prostrate as the specimen in your photo. Perhaps the harsh conditions of a pebbly beach influenced its habit. Am I going off the idea? Hhhhmmm? Thanks anyway :-)
I have a small garden in Rome, Italy. Some open soil, some concrete, some paved. Temperatures in winter occasionally down to 0°C. Summer temperatures up to 40°C in the shade. There are never watering restrictions but, of course, there is little natural water for much of June, July and August.

John J

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 05:30:56 AM »
You could well be right, David, and the prevailing winds come straight off the sea in that area with no protection. As shown in some of the other pics the majority of the vegetation is low-growing and ground-hugging.