Acacia Farnesiana, Plant of the Day

• 2 Replies

Hilary

Acacia Farnesiana, Plant of the Day
« on: November 20, 2015, 04:40:05 PM »
There are one or two Acacia farnesiana growing in unexpected places  here in Corinth and are a beautiful sight at the moment especially with this wonderful weather we are having, cloudless blue skies.

This particular tree was planted in one of the borders constructed by the munucipality in the wide pavement bordering one of the wider roads of Corinth.

An owner of the house near the border planted this tree and looked after it carefully until it  was well established. He tied the trunk to the railings of his house to keep it straight  and used to open the water supply to this border  when the municipality seemed to have lost interest in the project.

Although I have never seen it, I think he must also have protected the tree from over enthusiatic pruners
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care

Fleur Pavlidis

• Global Moderator
Re: Acacia Farnesiana, Plant of the Day
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 10:18:36 PM »
You don't mention the fabulous scent of the flowers, Hilary. When I used to walk the children to junior school, my daughters and I would pick a little yellow ball each and sniff at it all the way along the road. It was a big treat.
MGS member, Greece. I garden in Attica, Greece and Mt Goulinas (450m) Central Greece

Hilary

Re: Acacia Farnesiana, Plant of the Day
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 10:29:34 PM »
I left the scent for someone else to comment on.
A friend of mine always used to visit me bearing a couple of the flowers to give me.
Sadly those trees were chopped down as they did not fit in with the plans of a new building
MGS member
Living in Korinthos, Greece.
No garden but two balconies, one facing south and the other north.
Most of my plants are succulents which need little care