Cactus believed to be Echinopsis chamaecereus

• 3 Replies

John J

Cactus believed to be Echinopsis chamaecereus
« on: November 08, 2015, 08:36:55 AM »
Not 100% sure about the identification of this one. This is the first time it has flowered since we got it.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 09:41:49 AM by Alisdair »
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

royscot

• Email
Re: Cactus believed to be Echinopsis chamaecereus
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2015, 04:59:50 PM »
Hi John depends on the size it gets. If it looks looks like it is going to a lot bigger think it might be Trichocereus grandiflorus.

Regards

Roy

John J

« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2015, 07:53:16 PM »
Hi Roy, this is one of those taxonomical nightmares sent to tax ageing brains like mine. It seems that the majority of Trichocereus species have been reallocated to Echinopsis. Trichocereus grandiflorus now being Echinopsis huascha. Whatever name it is going under you are quite right this is one of the possibilities that my plant could be.
Cyprus Branch Head. Gardens in a field 40 m above sea level with reasonably fertile clay soil.
"Aphrodite emerged from the sea and came ashore and at her feet all manner of plants sprang forth" John Deacon (13thC AD)

royscot

• Email
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2015, 10:12:03 AM »
Yes, I am afraid I still think in old money. I have one that has just flowered in the garden with about 10 flowers. Lovely!

Roy